No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
Hi I have a question I hope someone can answer...I want to purchase a no crow collar for my marans baby boy. Hes only 1 month old now but I wanted to have the collar on hand for when he starts crowing...so question is what size do I purchase? The site says for a marans to get a L 10" but that seems really big. (Pretty sure sizing is for adult birds) What if he starts crowing next month I don't think it will fit yet...

Hi I have a question I hope someone can answer...I want to purchase a no crow collar for my marans baby boy. Hes only 1 month old now but I wanted to have the collar on hand for when he starts crowing...so question is what size do I purchase? The site says for a marans to get a L 10" but that seems really big. (Pretty sure sizing is for adult birds) What if he starts crowing next month I don't think it will fit yet...
It definitely won't. The reality is that you're probably going to need to get at least 2 different sizes for your boy until he reaches full size (at about a year old). He'll start crowing -well- before a 10" collar will fit him. My boys started crowing at around 5 weeks old and only size S collars would fit them. They're 6 months old and up to a M now.

If you want to get something a bit less expensive while you wait for him to grow - you can make your own or you can order from a lady named Amanda Barbe on Facebook through her group Cock Collars.

By the looks of hers, they're a strip of (presumably quite stretchy and not very firm) elastic with velcro on either side. She charges much less and I think they'd be great for training before switching to he proper ones (which are breathable)

She charges $5 each, plus postage (from Australia - but they wouldn't cost much to post, I think she does it as a letter).

>.> Alternatively...considering how simple they look... <.< If you have a sewing machine or know someone who does, you could probably just make one.

Thank you so much knew the 10" would be too big but didn't want to spend almost $100 on the different sizes. I will definitely look her up & get them until he fits in the 10" one
It definitely won't. The reality is that you're probably going to need to get at least 2 different sizes for your boy until he reaches full size (at about a year old). He'll start crowing -well- before a 10" collar will fit him. My boys started crowing at around 5 weeks old and only size S collars would fit them. They're 6 months old and up to a M now. If you want to get something a bit less expensive while you wait for him to grow - you can make your own or you can order from a lady named Amanda Barbe on Facebook through her group Cock Collars. By the looks of hers, they're a strip of (presumably quite stretchy and not very firm) elastic with velcro on either side. She charges much less and I think they'd be great for training before switching to he proper ones (which are breathable) She charges $5 each, plus postage (from Australia - but they wouldn't cost much to post, I think she does it as a letter). >.> Alternatively...considering how simple they look... QUOTE]

On the other hand, I made the error of googling for "cock collars." I just learned more about how some people live than I ever, ever, ever wanted to know.
lau.gif
gig.gif
clap.gif

Just want to share my personal experience. I got the No Crow collar, we have a decent size Easter Egger roo,and he could still crow pretty loud with it, I tried adjusting, we got two sizes to make sure, etc... Neighbors complained, we can't have roos to begin with. I was about to list him on craigslist but decided to try the baby sock trick, I cut an OldNavy 12-24m sock, folded it 3 times and wrestled RockyDoodle, got the thing around his neck, he crowed and it was very muffled, but still crowing louder than "hen noise level".
I decided to cut the other sock, and this one I rolled like a ring, and pushed it down, right below the folded sock. He tried to crow : SILENCE. Not a sound. I made sure it wasn't on too tight, that he could still eat and drink normally, and do his rooster thing with the hens. He can still make normal chicken sounds, but absolutely NO crowing. A week now and it's going great, the other morning the "collars" had shifted a bit so he let out one or two crows, pretty low ones, and we readjusted them to the "silent" position.
It's working great so far. He stands tall and "crows" but no sound comes out, and he's still a satisfied and happy, sweet little Cockster.

Just want to share my personal experience. I got the No Crow collar, we have a decent size Easter Egger roo,and he could still crow pretty loud with it, I tried adjusting, we got two sizes to make sure, etc... Neighbors complained, we can't have roos to begin with. I was about to list him on craigslist but decided to try the baby sock trick, I cut an OldNavy 12-24m sock, folded it 3 times and wrestled RockyDoodle, got the thing around his neck, he crowed and it was very muffled, but still crowing louder than "hen noise level".
I decided to cut the other sock, and this one I rolled like a ring, and pushed it down, right below the folded sock. He tried to crow : SILENCE. Not a sound. I made sure it wasn't on too tight, that he could still eat and drink normally, and do his rooster thing with the hens. He can still make normal chicken sounds, but absolutely NO crowing. A week now and it's going great, the other morning the "collars" had shifted a bit so he let out one or two crows, pretty low ones, and we readjusted them to the "silent" position.
It's working great so far. He stands tall and "crows" but no sound comes out, and he's still a satisfied and happy, sweet little Cockster.

Thanks for the COMPLETE description. I keep hearing people say they use a baby sock, but I couldn't quite picture what they were doing.

It breaks my heart to read some of these responses. Some of you sound so bitter and frustrated with the world. Ultimately as a pet owner and parent it's thier responsibility to keep all quiet and respect neighbor, no matter dog, rooster, or boogie man. I live in a very quiet neighborhood, thank goodness for I am a quiet person and enjoy such. I recently aquired my first pair of chickens, a roo and hen seramas. I chose this breed for many reasons including the smaller crow. My birds are inside birds and my roo is sweet as pie and loves cuddles but to be frank is really annoying. He crows constantly all day long maybe taking a 15 or 20 min break here and there. I don't think my neighbors hear him bc no one has said anything, and I would like to respect my neighbors silence because everyone has kids and dogs and no one is disruptive. I can't stand his crowing much longer so if there is a collar that will allow him to be a happy bird in his safe home, I'm trying it! Otherwise I'm going to cull a perfectly good bird. "Shouldn't get a rooster if you don't want to hear it crow" is an Aweful precedent that makes these animals so hard to find good homes for. No one wants to be woke up at the crack of dawn by anything let alone a crowing. And if you do... Go live in the boonies. When the general public sees all these responsible city slicking rooster owners, their attitudes towards them will change and hoas foreboding chickens will lacks and roosters will become part of a sound ordinance more like dogs and children than being some daunting scary argument. BRING ON THE COLLAR! Red is getting quieted and getting my sanity back! Lol

Back
Top Bottom