No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
I started with the NO CROW when my Rooster, Ninja Action, first started to crow (mid-September). I took it off of him about 3 weeks ago and he never crows! However, I just had a silkie start vocalizing and put on him this morning (it barely fit his tiny neck!) We'll see how he fared for the day when I get home tonight!

I started with the NO CROW when my Rooster, Ninja Action, first started to crow (mid-September). I took it off of him about 3 weeks ago and he never crows! However, I just had a silkie start vocalizing and put on him this morning (it barely fit his tiny neck!) We'll see how he fared for the day when I get home tonight!
Your roo may start crowing again once he realizes he can. Mine will typically stop crowing and will continue not crowing after I take the collar off but will start again eventually.

When my roo started getting dark tips on his comb I took his collar off (even though the cause was something else and had resolved within a few hours) and he started crowing again within the hour, louder than ever. XD Collar is back on now but needs adjusting.

When my roo started getting dark tips on his comb I took his collar off (even though the cause was something else and had resolved within a few hours)...

I also encounter this with my two collared-cockerels. I have determined (based solely on observation) that this occurs at a result of temperatures and/or wind chill below freezing and the potential restricted blood-flow resulting from use of the collars. My boys have pretty large combs and stronger the breeze and the lower the temperature the worse the darkening is. Warming temps and/or coming into the coop for the evening (out of the wind) usually resolves the discoloration after a few hours. I'm thinking it is the early stages of frostbite?

Do you also notice this only in cold/windy weather?

I also encounter this with my two collared-cockerels. I have determined (based solely on observation) that this occurs at a result of temperatures and/or wind chill below freezing and the potential restricted blood-flow resulting from use of the collars. My boys have pretty large combs and stronger the breeze and the lower the temperature the worse the darkening is. Warming temps and/or coming into the coop for the evening (out of the wind) usually resolves the discoloration after a few hours. I'm thinking it is the early stages of frostbite?

Do you also notice this only in cold/windy weather?
I haven't had any cold weather since my roosters were old enough to be outside. I think that I can safely say that it is not low temperatures, however, as the lowest temperature we've had in ages is about 65F and most days it's around 95F. It's summer here. It just seems to come and go. I've been advised that it's common in roosters feeling "amorous".

Poultry bro, they are spoiled rotten. They just don't know how lucky they are lol
Good to know if my boys aren't Cornish cross roosters they become spoiled as well my oldest is 7 and is very lucky his brothers where given away and none of them made it past their 1st birthday one became to aggressive and was left out side on purpose so some varmint got him and his other bro was taken by a lion it came right through the roof.

Good to know if my boys aren't Cornish cross roosters they become spoiled as well my oldest is 7 and is very lucky his brothers where given away and none of them made it past their 1st birthday one became to aggressive and was left out side on purpose so some varmint got him and his other bro was taken by a lion it came right through the roof.
And people are afraid of the fauna in Australia? XD

My biggest concerns are foxes, the pet cats of others, a dog that might get into my yard and eagles. XD

I absolutely jinxed myself, because days after my post about my rooster not crowing, he has started again. He also stopped roosting at night and now sleeps on top of the laying boxes, strange.
They almost always start again. XD Naughty boys. Time to put the collar back on again? He'll probably be louder than ever now...

Back
Top Bottom