No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
BEWARE!!! Watch your rooster carefully after putting the collar on!!!

I purchased this collar but after trying it for a week it's in the garbage. Because DeeDee pecked at the tag and I trimmed it off I wasn't allowed to return it to My Pet Chicken, between that, the restocking fee and shipping it wasn't worth the hassle to send back.

DeeDee became very distressed with the collar on, as I would imagine, but worked tirelessly to peck at it until it came off. I followed the directions carefully and even had someone else check that it was the right fit but DeeDee got it off every time! I tried it one last time and 5 minutes after putting it back on him he pecked at it and his beak got caught in the mesh, in a position that he could not close his mouth. Now I was distressed, so its in the trash.

I've heard you can use a baby sock, we'll see.
This is a very common reaction to a no crow collar being used - and I have seen it occur with baby socks and the elastic Cock Collars as well. The rooster will at first thrash around, running backwards and into things and will flap about wildly. Once they have gotten over this, they will peck at it - probably pulling it off several times.

Every rooster I have ever put the collars on has gotten their beak caught in the mesh once or twice - until they learn that it is unpleasant and do not do it again. You do definitely have to watch them very closely - for hours. Hours. Each time I put one on a new rooster I watch them for a minimum of 6 hours - preferably until it gets dark.

This process is much shorter - lasting perhaps a few seconds, each time I readjust the collar.

So I **ASKED** mom before I got Ollie and now she's telling me that I have to get rid of him because he crows all the time. We tried to find out by calling city hall and the zoning people if we could have chickens before we got them. Nobody knew, so we just got them. Mom is afraid that if Ollie keeps crowing that the neighbors will report us and we'll have to get rid of all of them if it turns out we're not supposed to have them. I'm so upset. I was going to try the collar, but I'm scared to after reading that some of them died. Is it more humane to rehome him and hope that person will care for him or to try the collar and hope he doesn't die? I would definitely try the cock collar over the no crow given the reviews. Either way I'll be devastated, whether I rehome him or if he dies, but I'm thinking I'd feel worse if I thought the collar was the cause.

So I **ASKED** mom before I got Ollie and now she's telling me that I have to get rid of him because he crows all the time. We tried to find out by calling city hall and the zoning people if we could have chickens before we got them. Nobody knew, so we just got them. Mom is afraid that if Ollie keeps crowing that the neighbors will report us and we'll have to get rid of all of them if it turns out we're not supposed to have them. I'm so upset. I was going to try the collar, but I'm scared to after reading that some of them died. Is it more humane to rehome him and hope that person will care for him or to try the collar and hope he doesn't die? I would definitely try the cock collar over the no crow given the reviews. Either way I'll be devastated, whether I rehome him or if he dies, but I'm thinking I'd feel worse if I thought the collar was the cause.

I recently had to rehome my rooster due to neighbour complaints! I didn't want to get the collar as I heard it had actually killed some roosters. I ended finding a nice farm where he had 11 chickens to himself, I cried like a ***** but he wasn't fussed at all. He jumped out of my arms as soon as he saw all then hens!

I have 3 very load roosters. Is there a forest or safe area I can leave them where they can find food and water and sleep on tree branches? Or even a sanctuary that will give them life long care?

Truthfully, if you turn them loose in a Forrest, you will be feeding the predators. Domesticated chicken are bred to have human care.

It would be better to post them on Craigslist to give away for free. People are probably going to eat them, but it will be a quick death verses the one you would set them up for in the forest.

Do not dump your roosters. We live in the country & people dump their pets off all the time. They always end up dead. They are either hit by cars, shot by ranchers, or even worse - long slow starvation. Please don't dump them. They will end up dead, probably a very painful death.

Feed stores usually take roosters. I've taken the birds I couldn't sell to a nice store selling pullets and they usually sell them off in a few hours as roosters

Back
Top Bottom