No Crow Rooster collar

I had roosters when growing up and i would say there's more pros than cons to having the right rooster, Wellsummer roosters are full of awesome colors. And about your rooster's behavioral issues, don't give up, maybe separate him completely for a month or 2 where he doesn't even see the hens and in the meantime you might need to remind him who is in charge, when he starts acting aggressive just turn him upside down and hold him that way against the ground until he calms down

No-crow collars-ordered one earlier this evening, does anyone have any experience with them and how long do they take to get them to you

No-crow collars-ordered one earlier this evening, does anyone have any experience with them and how long do they take to get them to you
I have ordered two different times and they took about a week and a half and the last time was right before Christmas so that's not too bad. I have two roosters that I have the no-crow collars on. It takes some time for them to get used to it and to figure out exactly where and how tight to put the collar. They will dance around jumping backwards once you put them down so I always make sure to put them by themselves until they calm down (sometimes I snuggle them until they settle down). I hope it helps to quiet your roo down!

I ordered mine this past weekend, because of the United States Post Office not being open Monday they didn't get shipped till Tuesday, earlier today I receive notification they're supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Anxious to get them on and adjusted, sure like the Cockrell and hate to steal him stew meat

I agree regarding the dog vs. rooster issue.  I love dogs, but have met a lot more obnoxious dogs than i have roosters.  And, a hen never makes noise unless she has something intelligent to say.

My three stooges make all kinds of noise. I know there's a rooster in my neighborhood because I hear the crowing, but it definitely sounds different, maybe he has a collar on. Mainly my wife doesn't want the crowing.

one of my australorps started cock a doing this morning, im going to see if velcro will do the trick i hopen so because i would love to get some chicks from him and i won't be able to keep him if it doesn't work, it will be the pot.

I purchased a "no crow rooster collar" which is far from what I expected! I put it on my rooster and it did lessen the sound of his crow, but I think that they learn to crow again. I even put my rooster in a small crate at night (we live in town where roosters are not allowed) and he still manages to crow.
Unfortunately I think I will have to consider rehomimg him as I know my girls would not eat him if we chose that option.
I wish there was an easy solution, but I don't think there is. I grew up on a farm where we had chooks and I guess hearing a rooster crow was just part of country life, but a lot of my neighbours are city folk through and through and I do t want the council ranger knocking on my door.
I am amazed that my rooster has worked out a way to crow with both his collar on and being in a small crate that doesn't even allow him to stand up at night! But in reality, what sort of life does that give him? He is out all day with his girls, but still I dont think I would appreciate being locked up at night
1f614.png

We have three Cockrells with "no crow collars on them", we are extremely happy with all three. One is a Easter egger the other two are French black copper Marans. They just turned six months old, we check them every two weeks to make sure they're not getting too tight since they're still growing. One of the birds the collar reduced it's crowing down to 10% of full volume, The French black copper Marans are between 15 to 20% of full volume. We have no complaints!

I just got the collar a couple of weeks ago after trying velcro cable ties. The velco cable ties did reduce the volume but not by the amount the No Crow Collar does. My rooster still crows, but it sounds like he's got laryngitis.

You have to continually adjust the collar. As he shakes his head, some feathers may come loose and then the collar is not not tight enough and the crow volume goes up. The most important thing I found, was that there is a very very fine line between "no crow" and choking. I kept him in a crate and observed him and tightened the collar until the volume was tolerable; but there was a point when he began foaming at the mouth and vomitting.

My collar is on a little tighter than would fit the tip of a pinkie (and whose pinkie?). I can still here him in the morning; but the crow is a low frequency sound and I don't it think carries outside my the walls of my yard as much as the neighbor's shrill little dog barking all the time/night or the people with an aviary of parrots a few houses away. These higher frequency sounds carry further. My roosters crow is softer than that of the two roosters I can hear in the distance. If there were ever complaints, all I'd have to do is go outside with a decibel meter and record all the other animals in the neighborhood which are far louder.

He's able to eat whole grains without any problems (though I haven't tried whole corn, only cracked corn).

I live in Los Angeles and while the ordinances do allow for one pet rooster, noise complaints would overrule. I can finally breed a project chicken that will be better suited for the hot summers in the Valley. Incidentally, the summer temps have been record highs in LA for the last few years. I'm preparing for more days over 110 this year and a chicken that will not drop dead from heat stroke as so many of my large fowl have in the past years.

Best advice I can give is, "go to the no crow caller website, find the question and answer board, there are detailed instructions on how to apply the collars. Follow their suggestions thoroughly!

Also spend a couple hours watching videos on YouTube about the no crow collars, they will help you get a good idea of the reaction roosters are going to have once they have a collar on. Every rooster is different!

Back
Top Bottom