No eggs

Suze6

Chirping
Oct 27, 2015
I took in three chickens back in July they are two years old. We moved them coop and all to their new home. One of the chickens layeda egg every other day until mid August. Now no eggs. They eat layer feed have clean water I added oyster shell,
. Recently they have been in the yard for the day. I am not sure if I a missing something important?

welcome-byc.gif

I think they are probably starting to molt. Every fall after a chicken is a year old, she molts, which causes a decrease in eggs. Do you see lots of feathers everywhere? Also, if they have a large chicken yard, they could be stashing the eggs other places. Also, they could be eating the eggs. Check on their beaks/faces for any evidence of dried egg. Also, you may want to check for mites, or worms. Do they appear to be healthy, eat well, breathe ok, poop normal,etc.?

Last edited:
Yes two of them are molting started about two weeks ago. Two of them have never layed from the time they arrived here. No signs of mites worms I am not sure? They seem healthy . I wonder how long it can take to adjust to a new environment?

It is that time of year for molting. They need to replace their feathers for winter and get their body weight back up before they can start laying again. Give them extra protein treats, and be patient. You'll get eggs again.

Yes two of them are molting started about two weeks ago. Two of them have never layed from the time they arrived here. No signs of mites worms I am not sure? They seem healthy . I wonder how long it can take to adjust to a new environment?
After a few months and the one is laying, I'd say they are adjusted to their new environment.
It's hard to say why the 2 have never laid for you, unless maybe you just got sold bum hens or they are much older than advertised.
But is could also just be moving stress then coupled with molting now.

What is your setup like, pics of coop and run?
Bumping up their protein can help....especially if you are giving other foods in addition to the layer feed, which is usually minimum protein levels.

Windows are a good idea just for some light in there.
Do you let them out at first light?

What about ventilation...any ventilation in coop?

Back
Top Bottom