No Free Ranging for my hens! (PIX)

That looks alot like a cooper hawk, I had alot of them after my chickens to. I use to free range my chickens but since I have had hawks (coopers and redtails), neighbors dog, and other predators I believe I am going to put up a run for my chickens not sure exact what to do yet either but I know I need to keep from losing my girls. They sure are going to be unhappy when they can't free range this spring/summer. They sure do love to spend alot time up by the house. I was thinking put up fence with fishing line across the top have you ever heard of this or would that be bad for the chickens. I all for recycle stuff too.

throughout the spring, summer, and fall we also have a pair of hawks that circle our yard every day to check on my vigillance. I is always in the morning, so I had only let the girls out for an hour or two in the afternoon, If the dog and I are out too. Now this spring I have seen and heard a pair of owls that seem to have moved in, so I will have to be watching to see what their schedule is like as well. I may have to finally build that hoop house for tractoring the girls around the property this summer.

I love hawks and think they are awesome. That being said, I don't want them to eat my chickens. So, well, I don't free-range. I believe in a large coop/run, with a good roof on it. I give my troops greens every day, and every day some form of "goodie" in addition to their layer feed. Today's goodie will be the trimmings from the ribs I had at a restaurant last night. And maybe also some leftover evaporated milk I found in the back of the fridge, if it's OK enough for *me* to eat, mixed with some oatmeal.

Redtails can get as big as small Golden Eagles. They can take a cat, small dog, gosling, chicken, etc. I'd not put it past them to have a try at a *baby* if you have your child out with you on a nice sunny day, and they're around and leave her side for a moment ..... *shiver*

Quote:
I've had a Cooper's hawk in my yard every day since I got chickens (>15 months) but they only tried to get them when they were small. One walked around the chicken tractor, trying to get in at the chicks. They don't bother them at all now that they are adults and they routinely capture doves and lizards in the yard while my hens are free-ranging. The chickens barely pay attention to them. I still wouldn't trust them around younger chickens or bantams. The Red Tailed hawk is another matter entirely. We've had a couple run-ins with it. Once one tried repeatedly to capture my chickens--while I was out there waving my arms and yelling at it. It even swooped in less than a few feet from me in an attempt to grab one before I could get them all back into their run--several times! The hawks here have no fear of humans. Tucson might be different than many places though--we have the highest density of Cooper's hawks in their entire distribution, thanks to an inordinate number of doves and pigeons. With so much easy prey available the risks associated with attacking a large standard breed chicken may not make it worthwhile.

Same. They don't bother my Orps now that they're grown but that doesn't mean I'm happy to see them fly over.

When they were little, I used bird netting over the run and the 'tractor' (really just pvc frames with chicken wire on them). Worked fine. This guy below about went nuts then gave up. He was back every day for about 4 days before giving up but he still cruised overhead every day.

65925_hawk.jpg

I have a barn split runs on each side BIG runs fully covered with a roof. Silkies and chickies growing out on one side and full grown on the other. I let my large fowl full grown free range in the afternoon when we are home and our days off. I only lost one hen to a neighbors dog (which she doesn't have anymore).... I have been lucky but I have 2 very good Roos that keep a watchful eye out and gather the hens quickly when any large bird flies over. I have even did the trouble call and hens are s
Ducking and running.

Back
Top Bottom