No idea what she is

wallace

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 17, 2007
Here's a picture. She's got pretty coloring, but I can't figure out what she is.

chicken1ah4.jpg

One thing notable - she doesn't have a proper comb. She did have a typical comb-like ridge when she was a chick, but it's been replaced by a wider, fuzzy pink patch. I'm pretty sure her girlfriend there is a Black Austrolorp.

chicken3aj3.jpg

One more picture.

chicken2cj0.jpg

Any ideas? Might she be some kind of Araucana half-breed?

She kinda looks like my Americauna, which is probably an Easter Egger mixed breed but was labeled Araucana at the feed store. However, your hen has no beard or muffs, which mine does. I don't know if that helps.

I like her rear feathers. Neat barring.

-MTchick

I have a beautiful hen, though a different color than yours, that is an EE and she has no muffs or beard but does have the same comb. Since they are cross breeds they don't all always have all the traits. But I do have some with very similar coloration as yours with beards & muffs. Sooooo, I think your girl is an EE/Americauna/Aracauna. I think.......

Last edited:
I found this website, http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/staff/wing/chickens.htm, that says this is an Araucana. I know it's not a proper Araucana, but the feathering is identical to mine. For now I'm going to assume she's an EE, and we'll see when she starts laying eggs. Although I don't know what to make of the bright yellow legs.

Araucana.jpg

I agree w/ Beckyla! Hatchery "Amercauna's" (aka EE's) are mixes and don't always have the same traits. Definitely has EE eyes and coloring, the yellow legs, well maybe whatever her mother is has them, In order to get the blue egg strain their father would have to be either EE or Amercauna, I doubt hatcheries use Aracuanas since they are a rare breed and have a terrible hatch rate, due to a lethal gene. So my guess, she's a mix, which most supposed "Americauna's" from hatcheries are, or feed stores, if you want the real deal you have to go to private dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom