No matter what I do they always die

RolluGollu

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hi

Its a sad day in chicken book. Out of my 4 chickens 2nd one has passed away. It is really sad as unexpected turn of events seem to keep on happening with them. This morning Cheeku had a tilt in the neck and he was lying upside down and was not able to stand up at all. His one eye was closed and seem like he was half paralyzed. This is a really bad experience for me as the first time baby chicken owner. He was in so much pain as soon as i woke up i gave him few drops of water, he gulped down water and looked at me with one eye open as he was trying to say save me please! and i was so heart broken to see his condition. After few minutes he stopped fighting. I think I am depressed by raising chickens! I don't want my other 2 chicks anymore. I think i am about to randomly donate them to a farmer. This is heart breaking ( if you love your baby chicks u will know what i mean)!

Weep Weep

I'm so sorry.....and I do know what you mean. I had 5 hens that were 15 weeks old. I had errands to run one morning and when I came home, they were all dead. A dog had torn into the coop and killed them all. I was so devastated that it has taken me two years to order more chicks. My new babies will be here day after tomorrow and I am having a second go at raising chickens. Don't give up, you still have two little ones that need you.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your loss.
sad.png
It can be an emotional roller coaster raising animals. And these little critters can be so fragile in the beginning and even the most experienced chicken owners loose some so don't give up on your little guys just yet. Stay strong
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss @RolluGollu :hugs

Could it be respiratory- any problems with breathing/sneezing?
Could it be worms- found any worms in poo? Or pale wattles/combs? Or low egg numbers?

How are the other two going- do they seem healthy?

It's a very hard thing- sorry again

Hi

Its a sad day in chicken book. Out of my 4 chickens 2nd one has passed away. It is really sad as unexpected turn of events seem to keep on happening with them. This morning Cheeku had a tilt in the neck and he was lying upside down and was not able to stand up at all. His one eye was closed and seem like he was half paralyzed. This is a really bad experience for me as the first time baby chicken owner. He was in so much pain as soon as i woke up i gave him few drops of water, he gulped down water and looked at me with one eye open as he was trying to say save me please! and i was so heart broken to see his condition. After few minutes he stopped fighting. I think I am depressed by raising chickens! I don't want my other 2 chicks anymore. I think i am about to randomly donate them to a farmer. This is heart breaking ( if you love your baby chicks u will know what i mean)!

Weep Weep
I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm a newbie at chickens too - I haven't gotten my chicks yet, but I understand your frustration and fear. I used to hatch and handraise parrots though. My 1st year, after apprenticing with a master raiser, I lost over 50% of those I hatched due to error! I was so devastated and heartbroken with each mistake I made. As time went on, I corrected each mistake and figured out more and more the best way for ME to raise these precious babies - and it wasn't always the way I was taught. You have to go with your gut a lot of times.

You still have 2 babies that need you. I understand your confidence is shaken, but that still rely on you. So wash you hands, disinfect your brooding area & all your equipment; change your litter so that everything is as clean as possible in case it is something infectious. Take a deep breath, and continue doing the best job you know how. You have a great resource here - re-read the basic articles in the reference section. Call your breeder/hatchery and see if they have any insight.

It's ok to be scared and lose confidence. It's not ok to give up yet!

hugs.gif
You can do this!!!! Look at those babies and try to see the joy!!!

Well I hope others will chime in on some helpful thoughts for you. Please forgive me if any advice I give you seems simple or you know already.
First, where did you get the chicks and how old were they when you got them?
Did they get wet from the water dish?
Is the temp warm enough?
Are you only feeding chick starter granules and water?
Did you notice anything odd before you went to bed? Once they are in very bad shape its hard to save them.
Unless they were out of water or something happened to the water, sometimes its better to just gently dip their beak in the water, rather then dropping it in their beak. They need to tip their head back to drink.
How long did you have the chicks?
There are some very talented chicken keepers on here and with more info they can maybe help you out with good tips and information.

Hi

San415

I got my chicks from a street vendor they were caged in heat and in bad shape, the avatar on my profile is the real baby chick. After weeks of care and hard work they started recovering and now they seem to be fully recovered, first one died soon after i got them, but this one died in 6th week.
Yes temp is very nice and warm.
I feed them millet + semolina + some bugs they often pick from grass + casually watermelon

I give them water with apple cider vineger (2 drops) + water is changed every alternate day

I noticed heavy breathing with 1 chick last night and next morning his neck was tilt and he was lying upside down in mud.

I did dip the beak in water and gave few drops of water down his throat as he was not moving at first.

6th week running... from very very weak they are now growing everyday.

Yes I am sure there are some very talented people around here and i am already thankful to them for teaching me, however still it is very sad to see your baby chick die in front of you.

Back
Top Bottom