Chicks failing to thrive. Please help!

Thank you. I’ll keep at it! I’m really rooting for the little guy. But he doesn’t seem to be improving. I appreciate the advice though. I’m thoroughly lost with chickens. YouTube shows so many chicks bouncing back. Hopefully that will be the case.

Here’s a photo of the two left. One seems very active. He took his mix out of the dropper unassisted. But still isn’t showing interest in food or water.

Attachments

• F7C9B48F-F535-428A-BD28-B8F39EAB4FB9.jpeg
    F7C9B48F-F535-428A-BD28-B8F39EAB4FB9.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DCF68DBF-BDBA-40F0-A0F5-DB414EDB4B10.jpeg
    DCF68DBF-BDBA-40F0-A0F5-DB414EDB4B10.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 11
I lost him this morning. He seemed to be improving, It just wasn’t enough. I feel awful, even more so for the last little chick. Who’s doing very well, but cries constantly.
Should I be handling him much?
He’s definitely to tiny to introduce to our rooster.

I lost him this morning. He seemed to be improving, It just wasn’t enough. I feel awful, even more so for the last little chick. Who’s doing very well, but cries constantly.
Should I be handling him much?
He’s definitely to tiny to introduce to our rooster.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately chicks are social animals and really want companionship, but given how the other ones did I'd hate to tell you to go back to that store to get more.

You can give him a mirror (well secured) or a small stuffed animal to help with loneliness, or spend time with him, just so he's not so alone.

Thank you. I’m hesitant to get more chicks from them. Unfortunately it’s the only store in our area that has poultry.
We’ve had no issues with the 4 ducklings we purchased there ( other than being told they where females) we I’m hoping this was a fluke.
I’ll try the mirror trick. It seems to enjoy human interaction.
Best case scenario, we won’t be able to return to the feed store until late next week.

I always blame wood chip and new chicks. It confuses them, it gets in their food and water, they eat it and they die. Looks like you were not using wood chips though.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately chicks are social animals and really want companionship, but given how the other ones did I'd hate to tell you to go back to that store to get more.

You can give him a mirror (well secured) or a small stuffed animal to help with loneliness, or spend time with him, just so he's not so alone.
I agree with not going back to that place again. What on earth does he mean by saying this to you?
"The feed store owner pointed out I was picking the “wrong” ones. The only one thriving is the one he grabbed."

So he's admitting he's got chicks that won't survive in this bin? Crazy!

Thank you. I’m hesitant to get more chicks from them. Unfortunately it’s the only store in our area that has poultry.
We’ve had no issues with the 4 ducklings we purchased there ( other than being told they where females) we I’m hoping this was a fluke.
I’ll try the mirror trick. It seems to enjoy human interaction.
Best case scenario, we won’t be able to return to the feed store until late next week.
Where do you live? Case in point to what @rosemarythyme said, in two weeks I'll have extra chicks hatching I don't want and will be selling really cheap.

Back
Top Bottom