6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Cass County Missouri
Just sharing pics of the family.

My Barred Rocks

My 5 month old French Blue Copper Marans roo

My Red Sex-Link hen

My huge Black Orpington hen

French Blue Copper Marans pullet, French Black Copper Marans pullet and the French Blue Copper Marans roo

My French Blue Copper Marans hen doing what good hens do

My Buff Orpington hen

What a beautiful flock!
love.gif
Such great shots you got as well! Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks B..... I have to admit, I'm a professional photographer so taking their pics is something that I enjoy. I used to live in South Beach and have been to Pompano a few times. I used to shoot real estate for Buy Owner.com.

Have a great weekend. Minus 9 degrees here by morning and 6 to 10 inches of snow. It's currently 3 degrees.

They are great pictures! Your Marans are spectacular, too!
I am *not* a photographer- I just have a decent camera, and love to take tons of pictures of every random thing. I have used up whole memory cards on taking pictures of my chickens, horses, dogs and cats!
Have any more lovely pictures? I'd like to see them!

Beautiful chickens and wonderful shots of them! Love the portrait of the hen peeking out from behind the beam. She looks happy. Do you mind if I ask what camera and lens are you shooting with? I sometimes find my chickens move so quickly that I have to constantly refocus and at times lose the shot.

Hi One Chick Two,

Thanks for the kind words. Chickens can be a real pain to photograph. The best way to assure a good shot, should they happen to move (and they do), would be to do 2 things. Make sure you're shooting as fast a shutter speed as possible and close down your aperture for more depth of field. If you're not familiar with photography terms, the depth of field (DOF) is the distance in front and behind the subject that's in focus. When you have a lot of DOF, everything in the photo (foreground, subject and background) is in focus. When you have a shallow DOF, like the photo of my French Blue Copper Marans rooster on the light, straw colored background, only the subject is in focus. By closing the aperture down (larger number such as f/11, you get more DOF. When you open up the aperture (smaller number such as f/2.8) you get less DOF. You would have to understand how a lens works but follow this advice and it will work.

The second thing is to select the fastest shutter speed possible. The faster it is, the easier it is to 'freeze' objects that are in motion. I shot for years for the Kansas City Chiefs and the only way to freeze a player that's running is to shoot fast shutter speeds and that allows you to freeze the action.

The bad news for all of this is that if you're not shooting an SLR (single lens reflex) camera, like a 35mm film camera, or a DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera like the digital 35mm format cameras, then you probably won't be able to do any of this. With a point and shoot, you're pretty much at the mercy of the camera. If it has an 'action' mode, set it to that. Flash will also help to freeze the subject in the photo.

If you have just a point and shoot camera, do the following for great shots:
1. ALWAYS shoot in good light. Bright sunlight is the best and lighting is one of the most important factors to great images.
2. If the camera has an 'action' mode, set the camera to that for helping to freeze your subject. The chicken's not going to freeze for you but will appear that way in your photo.
3. If the camera has a manual override that allows you to control the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., learn how to use it.
4. Brace yourself against something. If, for whatever reason, your automatic camera selects a slow shutter speed, any tiny movement will cause the pic to be blurred.

These photos were taken with a Canon 7D and a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L lens.

If you have additional questions, let me know and I'll provide you a number where you can call me. My phone number is also on the contact page of my website.

Marc
http://www.marc-grant.com
http://www.facebook.com/marcgrantphoto

Back
Top Bottom