šŸ£šŸ„Black Copper Marans and Whiting True Blues. Lots of videosšŸŽ„

Now the flock consists of 2 BCM pullets and 4 wtb pullets with 1 wtb cockerel.
The Marans and true blues have been co-mingling in the yard for a few months, but they use 2 separate coops at night. Iā€™ve got them all together in the big coop today. I added some saw horses so the little ones can get away from the bigs.
I think Iā€™ll try to keep them locked up for a day or 2 while I fix some areas in the backyard fence where the true blues have been getting into the neighborā€™s yard. The cockerel is good about staying close so heā€™s loose in the yard while the hens work out their social status in the coop/run.
Not long after I killed the big rooster, the true blue cockerel was grabbing and mounting the older marans hens.
Btw the rooster was delicious, I simmered him for 3 hours in the Dutch oven and made chicken noodle soup. Feet and all.
Iā€™m collecting pretty much 2 eggs a day from the 2 marans so I will wait til I have 8-12 then fire up the incubator. Iā€™d like to hatch another 4-6 BCM pullets to add to the flock.
Hopefully they will continue to lay eggs fertilized with the BCM roosterā€™s sperm. The first 10 eggs Iā€™ve eaten looked fertile to me, some were hard to see though.
IMG_3122.jpeg
IMG_3124.jpeg
IMG_3130.jpeg
IMG_3133.jpeg
IMG_3148.jpeg

Iā€™ve got 14 bcm eggs and 12 of the mixed colors in the incubator.
I picked up the mixed eggs from a local farm called Hilltop Homestead. They have brilliant colors and blooms.
Bigger than my pulletsā€™ eggs also.
I really like the golden green color of the moss egger and the pink eggs have some purple speckles that are unique looking.
IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_3290.jpeg
IMG_3287.png

Dear Chicken Diary, itā€™s me again.
The WTB chickens have been integrating into the same coop for about 2 weeks now.
The WTB rooster has taken over the 2 marans hens now that I killed the last marans rooster. The WTB is rough with the WTB pullets though and they run from him. The marans hens follow him around and he covers them a few times a day. He tidbits and smooth talks them.

The eggs are going well, the incubator is holding temps better than normal. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s because of the larger number of eggs in there.
IMG_3432.jpeg

I candled the eggs tonight at day 4 and could see the classic spider shape in all but 1 egg. Iā€™m taking that single marans egg out of the incubator. That sure would be a success if 25 chicks hatch.
The olive egg was the hardest to candle and then the darkest marans, but they all were visible with the incubright light.

Last edited:
The fibro olive egger is the circled one with light speckling. Itā€™s a little more green than the photo shows. These six eggs are relatively drab greenish khaki. I couldnā€™t get the color just right in the photo.
The person I got them from said these hens were covered by 2 fibro roosters carrying the blue gene and 1 other rooster, I think she said Easter egger but canā€™t remember right now. I am planning only keeping the pullets from these mixed eggs. I wouldnā€™t mind keeping BCM rooster from my eggsā€¦ if I get a good one.
IMG_3655.jpeg

Those are some gorgeous eggs..congrats
Thanks! I really enjoy the Marans eggs, they are top notch. My girls have layed about 2 dozen or so eggs each and I think the colors are stabilizing.

Back
Top Bottom