No waste feeder

Overthinker

Songster
Sep 26, 2021
Howdy,

So i built a no waste feeder and it was with small 90* pvc connectors and I cut half the lip on one side for a rain guard and cut the lip off the other side so i could slip it in the 3" holes i cut in the bucket.

So they are able to eat it, but the food is level with the hole and they emptied it out and have wild bird friends now (and probably mice etc)

I'm going to try to build one again, i don't want food level with hole and don't the fitting so long their necks can't reach the food.

So i know to use a street fitting so it is longer, but question is should i use a 90* or a 45* and will i need to trim it shorter just a bit?

Thank you, i can save money and just switch out the pvc. Anyone have any experience making these?

Attachments

• 20220824_160006.jpg
    20220824_160006.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220824_160014.jpg
    20220824_160014.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 37
You pay for a treadle feeder even if you don't buy one. Saves spilled feed, the good ones are designed to prevent feed theft and spillage but get off Amazon and google something like chickenfeederreviews. Skip the reviews with amazon links, those are commission links and the ad is written to recommend that feeder to earn the blogger money. Spring loaded door is an absolute must and an inward swinging door for fast training and bird safety.

Howdy,

So i built a no waste feeder and it was with small 90* pvc connectors and I cut half the lip on one side for a rain guard and cut the lip off the other side so i could slip it in the 3" holes i cut in the bucket.

So they are able to eat it, but the food is level with the hole and they emptied it out and have wild bird friends now (and probably mice etc)

I'm going to try to build one again, i don't want food level with hole and don't the fitting so long their necks can't reach the food.

So i know to use a street fitting so it is longer, but question is should i use a 90* or a 45* and will i need to trim it shorter just a bit?

Thank you, i can save money and just switch out the pvc. Anyone have any experience making these?
I just bought the pre-made ones and fit to a bucket (3) on a 5 gallon bucket works fine with 12 chicks. I plan to upgrade to a 20 gallon bucket with 6 feeders so I can dump a whole bag in to last longer.

This is the one I made over the summer, just a plastic storage tote with 4 inch 90° pvc fittings. It holds one 50 lb bag of feed at a time, the only problem I’ve had with it is the possum eating from it during the summer if I don’t lock the coop early enough 😂 I think the only thing I would change is putting 3 openings on one side all the same level, leaving the other side intact so that it sits flat against the wall.
303DA4D9-C883-47E9-B818-80CC184675C6.jpeg
27DE877A-174C-45BB-8356-FBBEE300EF12.jpeg
AB80BCE7-E070-405C-841E-E32A19E8AA2C.jpeg

This is the one I made over the summer, just a plastic storage tote with 4 inch 90° pvc fittings. It holds one 50 lb bag of feed at a time, the only problem I’ve had with it is the possum eating from it during the summer if I don’t lock the coop early enough 😂 I think the only thing I would change is putting 3 openings on one side all the same level, leaving the other side intact so that it sits flat against the wall. View attachment 3357983View attachment 3357984View attachment 3357982
put all your access openings low so their isnt much room for feed to be raked out and wasted, also you can sit it on blocks to raise the feed level as the hens mature ( that is what I do ) so as the feed level drops they can still reach the botton of the container for the last bits... Also you can mount on a shelf with a perch in front to deter critters from getting to the feed.

Back
Top Bottom