No wattles/earlobes at 15 weeks? What breed is this?

springvalley123

Free Ranging
8 Years
May 22, 2015
Northwest Phoenix area
This bird (I think pullet) hatched 3/8/22 at Ideal and came as either a rainbow assortment (various egg colors), or a hatchery surprise (anything Ideal has that might hatch an egg). I kept waiting for earlobes to come in, then noticed virtually no wattles. As a day old this bird was white with very little if any yellow down. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1209.JPEG
    IMG_1209.JPEG
    656.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1210.JPEG
    IMG_1210.JPEG
    408.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1211.JPEG
    IMG_1211.JPEG
    431.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1212.JPEG
    IMG_1212.JPEG
    911.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1213.JPEG
    IMG_1213.JPEG
    479 KB · Views: 8
Leghorns have huge combs and wattles.
The pullet is only 11 weeks old. She's got plenty of time to grow comb & wattles if she is a Leghorn, or she could be some other white breed that has smaller ones.

Edit, 15 weeks. I missed a month when I counted from the hatch date. At that age, I agree she's less likely to be a Leghorn.

Thanks! That means she's just way slower than the others, all of whom are varying breeds. That alone might give me a clue as to her breed/mix!
Yes, that might be a clue about what breed she is. Leghorns do tend to mature fast, so if she's slower than the other pullets she is more likely to be a slower-maturing breed.

You are comparing her with pullets, not cockerels, right?

My bird was hatched 3/8, she's 15weeks and 2 days in this picture.
I counted weeks from that hatch date, and got 11 weeks to... oops...sometime in May.
Yup, 15 weeks. I just edited my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom