Noir is Somewhat Blanc

love.gif

@Kaessa & @Amiga Thanks again for allaying my fears... Here is a follow-up picture 6 months later now that Noir is mostly done with this molt...

What a change!!! my Chocolate and Blue runners have a few white feathers added this time around. Dove has the shoulders and Mystique has a small smattering in her chest but Noir is definitely winning the race for white challenge. Well, she gets to be my avatar for a while
tongue.png
And she is so adorable like that. A little Spotted Runner duck

A little more than a year later... Title of this thread now would be noir-is-almost-totally-blanc
gig.gif

Wow what a transformation I have this to look forward too since i have 3 black Runners. Do the Blue change too?
Yup, blue and chocolate:

Here is a relatively rare recent picture where all 4 runners are in it. On the right side from back to front, Mystique (blue), Entie (Faun & white), and Noir. On the left is Dove (chocolate). Dove and Entie are about 3 months older (since Noir and Mystique replaced their contemporaries Ebony and Belle after the raccoon attack <sniff>) Entie of course is not subject to the white transformation and is pretty much as she has always been (this was just before her molt, her faun is much darker now - same with Dove, she is almost as dark as Noir now - Mystique is in mid-molt.) Anyway, Dove has been much slower to turn white than the younger girls. The non-runners are Allie (back, Pekin), Pocahontas (front, Cayuga - also getting some white feathers) and Telle (left, Rouen).

Edit: BTW, this area has been dubbed the "water cooler" as it seems to be a social center for the ducks, not just a place to drink.

Last edited:
Yup, blue and chocolate:

Here is a relatively rare recent picture where all 4 runners are in it. On the right side from back to front, Mystique (blue), Entie (Faun & white), and Noir. On the left is Dove (chocolate). Dove and Entie are about 3 months older (since Noir and Mystique replaced their contemporaries Ebony and Belle after the raccoon attack <sniff>) Entie of course is not subject to the white transformation and is pretty much as she has always been (this was just before her molt, her faun is much darker now - same with Dove, she is almost as dark as Noir now - Mystique is in mid-molt.) Anyway, Dove has been much slower to turn white than the younger girls. The non-runners are Allie (back, Pekin), Pocahontas (front, Cayuga - also getting some white feathers) and Telle (left, Rouen).

Edit: BTW, this area has been dubbed the "water cooler" as it seems to be a social center for the ducks, not just a place to drink.
Well how about that and when they change they are still so pretty.[All of them] Love the way you have everything set up great ideas. Is that just a blk bucket set upside down in the water containers and what are they haven't ever seen anything like the blue ones. Always looking for ideas.

Well how about that and when they change they are still so pretty.[All of them] Love the way you have everything set up great ideas. Is that just a blk bucket set upside down in the water containers and what are they haven't ever seen anything like the blue ones. Always looking for ideas.
Those are old (don't work) electric dog bowls. In the middle that is an irrigation valve cover https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-6-in-W-x-8-38-in-H-Round-Irrigation-Valve-Box/1060257 it already has holes in it so it doesn't float or displace too much water but it sends the message: not for swimming. The bowls are deep enough that they can dunk their heads completely. Bought some different bowls for this winter, but they don't reliably heat the water. Seems that most of the bowls I buy will heat the water when it is real cold, but not when it is 28-30F, then the water freezes. Thermostat is off a bit I guess, so now they are back to last year's buckets. We don't like these as much because they are heavier, but they work reliably (although last year I returned 3 buckets to our feed store for this same problem - the two we have now work great. They use signboard to mark a no swimming zone...
(old pic):

So that is just a slight variation of your bucket with the board on it. We really like the big bowl, irrigation valve cover combo and use it all spring, summer, fall, but can't get reliable working dog bowls for winter.

Those are old (don't work) electric dog bowls. In the middle that is an irrigation valve cover https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-6-in-W-x-8-38-in-H-Round-Irrigation-Valve-Box/1060257 it already has holes in it so it doesn't float or displace too much water but it sends the message: not for swimming. The bowls are deep enough that they can dunk their heads completely. Bought some different bowls for this winter, but they don't reliably heat the water. Seems that most of the bowls I buy will heat the water when it is real cold, but not when it is 28-30F, then the water freezes. Thermostat is off a bit I guess, so now they are back to last year's buckets. We don't like these as much because they are heavier, but they work reliably (although last year I returned 3 buckets to our feed store for this same problem - the two we have now work great. They use signboard to mark a no swimming zone...
(old pic):

So that is just a slight variation of your bucket with the board on it. We really like the big bowl, irrigation valve cover combo and use it all spring, summer, fall, but can't get reliable working dog bowls for winter.
I love the live visuals. and a great looking cut outs too. I guess your temps are too low for some of the bowls to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom