Non-Broody Breeds

TeaChick

Crowing
7 Years
May 5, 2013
Deep South
My Coop
My Coop
In my search for a non-broody bantam breed, I have found that information on broody hens is much easier to come by than non-broody breeds.
So, I thought I could start a thread and we could compile a list or two of non-broody breeds, then others looking for non-broody breeds could find the list easily.

I will start a list of non-broody bantams and non-broody LF breeds. Then, as people add breeds to this thread, I'll edit them into my lists as long as the site lets me edit, then I'll start editing other posts of mine on the first page to add more as they're added to the thread.

The purpose of this thread is to share information, experience, stories, pictures and anything else you would like to about non-broody breeds of chickens. Sharing experience and information is important! =)

Non-Broody LF (b) = also in bantam
Leghorn (b)
Rhode Island Red / RIR (b)
Wyandotte (b)
Minorca
Ancona
Barnevelder
Rock (infrequently)
Blue Andalusian
Chantecler (infrequently)
Polish
Egyptian Fayoumis
German Spitzhauben/Appenzeller
Golden Campine
Lakenvelder
Sicilian Buttercup
Hamburg
Sultan
Ameraucanas
Catalanas
Crevecoeurs
La Fleche
Orloffs
Phoenix
Redcaps
Sumatras
White Faced Black Spanish
Yokohamas.

Non-Broody Bantams
Leghorn
Rhode Island Red
Wyandotte

Sex-links are a special case. They are not non-broody per se. The broodiness of a sex-linked hen depends upon the breeds mixed to achieve the link. Mostly, sex-links are bred for production, thus breeding out broodiness usually. I have two red/gold sex-links that, if I allow them to collect a clutch, they will go broody, but as long as I collect their eggs, they don't go broody, but if I don't leave them at least one egg, they'll start a new nest and hide eggs on me.

Last edited:
I will continue to do research and edit the lists.

Just please look farther down this page to see where breeds have been added to the lists, as the site will only allow me to edit my posts a specific number of times.

Also, please feel free to add breeds to the thread and I'll edit them into my lists.
And please feel free to post and ask about specific breeds and we'll get you all the information, experience, etc. that we can. =)

Thanks for the list.
I have very little experience with bantams but lots of experience with Penedesencas (blacks). I get about 30% go broody. Sometimes almost half. I had 10 pullets sharing a community nest and 8 went broody together, another came and went so only one of the 10 showed no tendency.

I've had white and black LF Leghorns. A black hen raised many broods for me.

The only other broodies I've had among about 30+ breeds were Orps, Ameraucanas and a Columbian Wyandotte Frizzle.

Last edited:
More non-broody LF additions should include Anconas, Ameraucanas, Catalanas, Crevecoeurs, La Fleche, Orloffs, Phoenix, Redcaps, Sumatras, White Faced Black Spanish, and Yokohamas.

More non-broody LF additions should include Anconas, Ameraucanas, Catalanas, Crevecoeurs, La Fleche, Orloffs, Phoenix, Redcaps, Sumatras, White Faced Black Spanish, and Yokohamas.

P.S. I know that at least a few of these are available in bantam sizes, but how many of them are I don't know.

Thanks!!!
I was trying to be conservative originally, the only sources I had were hatchery websites and they conflict on some breeds, so I was being careful.
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

P.S. I know that at least a few of these are available in bantam sizes, but how many of them are I don't know.

Same here.
hu.gif

Thanks for the list.
I have very little experience with bantams but lots of experience with Penedesencas (blacks). I get about 30% go broody. Sometimes almost half. I had 10 pullets sharing a community nest and 8 went broody together, another came and went so only one of the 10 showed no tendency.

I've had white and black LF Leghorns. A black hen raised many broods for me.

The only other broodies I've had among about 30+ breeds were Orps, Ameraucanas and a Columbian Wyandotte Frizzle.

=)
Would 30% be considered non-broody?
I think I have a Leghorn who occasionally pretends that she's practicing; she'll spend like 3 hours in the nest for a few days in a row, then she goes back to taking only about 30 min to lay.
th.gif
If she every went broody, then I'd know that I'm the one who has the only broody Leghorn in the county. lol

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!!

I think 30% would qualify as a broody breed. That's more than I ever got with orps.

Oh, okay. I'll remove them from the list.
I feel like 50% is way too much, but 30% seemed like it was on a line. KWIM?
Yeah, if a breed is more broody than Orps, then it's definitely broody! lol

PS: One of the hatchery sites that I was looking at yesterday said Australorps go broody and another said they don't. Neither of them said they were in-between, just "yes" and "no".
Do you know or know someone who knows?

Oh, okay. I'll remove them from the list.
I feel like 50% is way too much, but 30% seemed like it was on a line. KWIM?
Yeah, if a breed is more broody than Orps, then it's definitely broody! lol

PS: One of the hatchery sites that I was looking at yesterday said Australorps go broody and another said they don't. Neither of them said they were in-between, just "yes" and "no".
Do you know or know someone who knows?

I've raised Black Australorps for years and it seems to depend on the strain. I've purchased BA chicks from four different hatcheries and the ones from Cackle were the broodiest and the poorest layers as a result. The ones I've gotten from Dunlap Hatchery rarely go broody and some of them lay over 300 eggs per year. Ideal Poultry and Murray McMurray have been down the middle in both broodiness and egg production.

Back
Top Bottom