non-broody fowl keepers

Pics
You people without broodies, YOU DON’T KNOW HOW LUCKY Y’ALL ARE. I have three hens who go broody every summer, usually multiple times per year. One of them, my Java, lays like five eggs in spring, then is broody for the rest of the dang year. The other two will eat your fingers off if you try to move them while they're broody. And the CLUCKING. Oh my word, it'll drive you insane. But of course the adorable babies you get afterwards make it all better…though you probably won't be able to touch them cause Mama's too protective. But you can enjoy them from a distance! A large distance…

You people without broodies, YOU DON’T KNOW HOW LUCKY Y’ALL ARE. I have three hens who go broody every summer, usually multiple times per year. One of them, my Java, lays like five eggs in spring, then is broody for the rest of the dang year. The other two will eat your fingers off if you try to move them while they're broody. And the CLUCKING. Oh my word, it'll drive you insane. But of course the adorable babies you get afterwards make it all better…though you probably won't be able to touch them cause Mama's too protective. But you can enjoy them from a distance! A large distance…

I don't care about the distance thing, I don't have cuddly chickens. My chickens are something I enjoy without having to lay hands on them. You mentioned clucking, so safe to assume you've never heard a Cavalier beg for food. I want to move on with my breeding programs. I can't do that if I don't have a broody (or an incubator but that's another story). I also don't care about high egg production that much, ive made that decisionlong ago when i got my first aseel. If I'm in a desperate need I'd just buy a started ISA brown, done it before

So - what do your nests look like? Although I know a friend where they brood on a shelf. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.
I use crates and remove the door
I even keep one outside in case they don’t go back in the duvk house to lay
One of my girls used it the other day
Most times they lay in the crates in the duck house
Sometimes in a corner
But usually always go back inside to lay
I hardly ever get dirty eggs

Attachments

• C07FDE3F-A469-4278-B1E4-33F4135C165C.jpeg
    C07FDE3F-A469-4278-B1E4-33F4135C165C.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 3
I use crates and remove the door