non-broody fowl keepers

Pics
I get the silky feather thing (I have birds that have it after all) but the complete look is too much. A chicken is amazing if it has two or maximum three "unique" traits in my book, but the silkie has 5 toes, the feathers, the crest, the beard, the skin, the feathered legs, AND the stupidity. There's only one way this could get worse, and that's if someone decides to make Tolbunt silkies😵‍💫🤕😖
I know they have a lot of fans, but I've had them and I just don't get it. Okay, as chicks they are adorable pompoms. As adults, they can't see because of that crest and are not hardy because of those feathers. They are too small to make a good meal (imo) and you need three eggs to make one 'regular' egg.

Agreed that mixes are better, I had a cochin/silkie mix that was beautiful and personable (but she died).

Seriously though why buy a silkie if it isn't for they're brooding abilities. Like what's the point of being a chicken that can't chicken if you won't hatch anything.
Some people actually like the feather duster look. :sick

-cough cough-
innocent whistle.gif

But seriously, I love silkied feathering, but Silkies, themselves, are... I don't know, lackluster as far as chicken breeds go I guess? And I hate large crests that impede vision and cover their faces, which is why I also don't like Polish and other breeds that have them.

As far as broodiness goes, my Silkies were broody enough, but when I crossed them to the silkied Cochins I created absolutely insane broody monsters. :th

-cough cough- View attachment 3487983

But seriously, I love silkied feathering, but Silkies, themselves, are... I don't know, lackluster as far as chicken breeds go I guess? And I hate large crests that impede vision and cover their faces, which is why I also don't like Polish and other breeds that have them.

As far as broodiness goes, my Silkies were broody enough, but when I crossed them to the silkied Cochins I created absolutely insane broody monsters. :th

That's exactly what I'm saying. Silky feathering is nice by itself, but a silkie is not. It's too pom pom-y to function

I know they have a lot of fans, but I've had them and I just don't get it. Okay, as chicks they are adorable pompoms. As adults, they can't see because of that crest and are not hardy because of those feathers. They are too small to make a good meal (imo) and you need three eggs to make one 'regular' egg.

Agreed that mixes are better, I had a cochin/silkie mix that was beautiful and personable (but she died).

Yup, the baby phase is pretty cute. I also like the blue earlobes. But yeah, the crest is too much, I also prefer nimble crests, like the one Tsouloufati (or if i were to speak proper Greek it would be Tsouloufates) are supposed to have. The crests the Disney flock has is my maximum for crest size, and most silkies have more than that

I perhaps don't count since I did have one perfect broody hatch, but since then I've been stuck in broody fail land. Most recently this pullet of mine has been running around like grumpy turkey mess, but all she does is aggressively watch the other hens lay eggs like this and then leaves when they do.
IMG_20230409_140953__01s.jpg

I don't think most hens understand which eggs are theirs and which are not.
Mine don't even understand "egg," let alone whose egg. I didn't give them this; they took it off a hook on the ceiling and put it here.
img_20230412_144500__01sm-jpg.3466087

I perhaps don't count since I did have one perfect broody hatch, but since then I've been stuck in broody fail land. Most recently this pullet of mine has been running around like grumpy turkey mess, but all she does is aggressively watch the other hens lay eggs like this and then leaves when they do.
View attachment 3488146

Mine don't even understand "egg," let alone whose egg. I didn't give them this; they took it off a hook on the ceiling and put it here.
img_20230412_144500__01sm-jpg.3466087

Well they're definitely.....what's the word.....creative! :lau

Back
Top Bottom