non-dominate roo - trying to attack mother hen

PlentifulPrairie

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Wisconsin
hi --

i have a hen that just hatched out a little flock of 4 (yayyyy!). Anyways I have my chickens around a premier1 fence and i have let my hen and her chicks live in my garage and they free range during the day. (i don't want the chicks to get attacked by my roo/shocked by the fence) Anways i have two rooster and obviously one is the non-dominate one, he is also low on the pecking line. He sometimes gets beat up by my dominant roo so i let him out and free range. However now that i have the mother hen and her babies out.. i'm having an issue where when he sees her he run and attacks her.. he isn't trying to mate her... and if so.. ah it's very odd. he pulls on her feathers and tries to attack her in the face.

i considered building another coop and having mother hen and her chicks and my non-dominate roo have their own little corner... however since he's a psycho i don't think this is going to be a thing?

what do you guys think? can i make him not attack her? what do you think he is doing? why do you think he is doing this? thoughts?

thanks
heidi

It sounds to me like your non-dominant male is trying to mate with your broody, but is doing a very sloppy job at it. Since she's not with the flock, he might see her as his chance to make a flock of his own. In order to claim her as his, he needs to mount her. As a broody, and a fresh one at that, your hen isn't in the mood for mating yet and refuses his advances, which leads to this violent act. If that is what is happening, you'd notice the male going for mostly the back of her head and trying to hold on to those feathers. It could be though that he's just being aggressive. Either way, it's not safe for the chicks, so I'd still suggest separating him, or putting him full time with the other flock

i don't want the chicks to get attacked by my roo
I've never had a dominant rooster attach a young chick or threaten one. Some people say they have. I have had a dominant rooster help a broody hen take care of her chicks.

There was a thread a week or so ago where someone had chicks housed in a separate run. One chick escaped and the rooster started chasing it. But a few days later all the young chicks were integrated with the flock and there were no issues. I don't know if this is accurate or not but someone guessed that the rooster saw that the chick was not where it was supposed to be and was trying to get it back there.

If you let the broody hen raise them with the flock she will handle integration for you. If you don't you will have to handle integration yourself.

shocked by the fence
Occasionally my adult chickens will be shocked by my electric netting when they peck at grass or weeds in the netting. They squawk, jump up and back a few feet and then go back to eating. It doesn't hurt them. I've never noticed a chick being shocked but it could happen. What usually happens with chicks is that they jump up on a horizontal strand hot wire or step on one as they are going through the fence. Since they are not touching the soil at the same time (are not grounded) they do not get shocked. About the time they are 7 to 8 weeks old they get too big to get through my electric netting. Until then they can walk through without a problem.

Anways i have two rooster and obviously one is the non-dominate one, he is also low on the pecking line. He sometimes gets beat up by my dominant roo so i let him out and free range.
How old is he? It sounds like he may be an immature cockerel and not a mature rooster. I have had immature cockerels try to bother the chicks but my broody hens generally teach them to leave her babies alone. Sounds like this is not working for yours.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. All other reasons are personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of my own. But those are a choice, not a need. I generally suggest you keep as few boys as you need to meet your goals. If that is an immature cockerel he may eventually grow out of it, but if it is a mature rooster I'd think your optimum number of roosters may be one.

I've never had a dominant rooster attach a young chick or threaten one. Some people say they have. I have had a dominant rooster help a broody hen take care of her chicks.

There was a thread a week or so ago where someone had chicks housed in a separate run. One chick escaped and the rooster started chasing it. But a few days later all the young chicks were integrated with the flock and there were no issues. I don't know if this is accurate or not but someone guessed that the rooster saw that the chick was not where it was supposed to be and was trying to get it back there.

If you let the broody hen raise them with the flock she will handle integration for you. If you don't you will have to handle integration yourself.

Occasionally my adult chickens will be shocked by my electric netting when they peck at grass or weeds in the netting. They squawk, jump up and back a few feet and then go back to eating. It doesn't hurt them. I've never noticed a chick being shocked but it could happen. What usually happens with chicks is that they jump up on a horizontal strand hot wire or step on one as they are going through the fence. Since they are not touching the soil at the same time (are not grounded) they do not get shocked. About the time they are 7 to 8 weeks old they get too big to get through my electric netting. Until then they can walk through without a problem.

How old is he? It sounds like he may be an immature cockerel and not a mature rooster. I have had immature cockerels try to bother the chicks but my broody hens generally teach them to leave her babies alone. Sounds like this is not working for yours.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. All other reasons are personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of my own. But those are a choice, not a need. I generally suggest you keep as few boys as you need to meet your goals. If that is an immature cockerel he may eventually grow out of it, but if it is a mature rooster I'd think your optimum number of roosters may be one.
he just turned one in may, and i have him because he kinda got a ruff start in life and found a soft spot for him and he's very friendly to people and most of the hens usually.
I enjoy the roosters for the fact they protect the flock (my dominant rooster - fought a hawk off one of my hens -- that to me has his place paid in gold) and if things got ruff I can raise more chickens for meat.

It sounds to me like your non-dominant male is trying to mate with your broody, but is doing a very sloppy job at it. Since she's not with the flock, he might see her as his chance to make a flock of his own. In order to claim her as his, he needs to mount her. As a broody, and a fresh one at that, your hen isn't in the mood for mating yet and refuses his advances, which leads to this violent act. If that is what is happening, you'd notice the male going for mostly the back of her head and trying to hold on to those feathers. It could be though that he's just being aggressive. Either way, it's not safe for the chicks, so I'd still suggest separating him, or putting him full time with the other flock
alright. yeah he's not going for her neck/back, he's going for whatever part of her he can peck and grab her feathers.. i break it up every time it happens so i'm not sure what exactly it'd turn into if i didn't..

A rooster attacking a broody or a mother hen with chicks is not worth keeping as he should protect them and not attack.

He would be soup the same evening ...

He might be trying to claim her. I had three cockrels and two pullets and one dominant that was nice to the pullets. The other two were always trying to sneak in and grab a pullet by pulling any feathers they could get. But the dom would put them in their place if he saw. He might be attacking her because the dominant roo isn’t around and he’s taking his shot. I bet if the hen and babies were around the dominant roo he’d knock it off. Or maybe not. I ended up rehousing two Roos and culling my favorite. He was nice to humans but terrorized the pullets and the cockerel below him as well as challenging the dom cockerel who always put him in his place.

Even my hormonal cockerels don't attack broody hens with chicks...I wouldn't want to keep him after that.
Unless, I am wondering if you interrupting it (with the best of intentions) is actually confusing everyone involved. Maybe, if you think it would be safe, try letting them sort it out for a bit longer? (only you can tell if you think that would be safe for the mother hen and chicks, don't do it if you are worried)

Back
Top Bottom