Non-GMO quail feed

ChazzanHillel

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Fort Worth
I just picked up a bag of Texas Natural brand game bird start for my Coturnix quail. Anyone else using this? I'm switching over from the Purina brand. I was getting it for 60 cents a pound. The TN brand is running $1.75 a pound. Y'all "pro-non-GMO'ers" out there think it's work it for DP quail?

That's pretty expensive for a quail feed! I thought the Purina Gamebird Starter was natural and not GMO. I thought all feeds that are labeled "all natural" were non-GMO. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

I could be wrong, but in pretty sure that natural doesn't necessarily mean non-GMO... Or even organic for that matter.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (Min) 28%, Lysine (Min) 1.0%, Methionine (Min) .40%, Crude Fat (Min) 3.25%, Crude Fiber (Max) 9.0%, Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.15%, Calcium (Ca) (Max) 2.15%, Phosphorus (P) (Min) .75%, Salt (NaCI) (Min) .20%, Salt (NaCI) (Max) .50%, Sodium (Na) (Min) .20%, Sodium (Na) (Max) .50%

Ingredients: Plant protein products, bentonite, grain products, animal protein products (fishmeal), calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, molasses products, bentonite, salt, brewers yeast, aspergillus oryzae, diatomaceous earth, lysine choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D-3 supplement, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, and calcium iodate.

No natural does not mean GMO free or NON chemical learned that the hard way. I am starting my own feed for them. Doing fodder and meal worms

That's pretty expensive for a quail feed! I thought the Purina Gamebird Starter was natural and not GMO. I thought all feeds that are labeled "all natural" were non-GMO. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this.
Only organic mean no GMO, all-natural is mostly a marketing ploy & can mean anything under the sun

I am doing

wheat
oats
Black Oil Sunflower seeds
Barley

and then meal worms daily.

SamanthaWilson4,

How's the fodder working out for you still? Can I ask how much you have to do to keep up with up with how many birds? And do you ever do the fresh seed along or always grown out/foddered.

Thanks!

JC

All natural does not mean it is non GMO! If they did not include GMOs they would proudly say so on their label. Organic food and feed is always non GMO.

I prefer to feed organic. I am lucky to also have a non GMO but conventionally grown option locally, but prefer full organic.

I do grow my own greens, moringa, meal worms and BSFs to supplement the commercial feeds. It helps keep the feed cost down and gives them a little extra nutrition.

....I am lucky to also have a non GMO but conventionally grown option locally, but prefer full organic....

Sill, what is your non GMO feed that's there locally? Is it still a commercial grade feed? Do they happen to share their ingredient list? And whats the % protein of it? Are you able to keep BSF and meal worm production up high enough to keep at the correct ratio for them?

Back
Top Bottom