Normal Flock Size?

I started with a flock of 150 day old chicks and 14 ducklings. It was quite the learning curve, but I only lost 3 in the brooders and 3 more to the neighbors dog before butchering time. I am now down to 60 laying hens and 6 roosters that are housed in a 6 X 20 ft stock trailer for winter. I would not recommend jumping into the deep end like this for everyone, but I have the space and time, so if I'm going to do something, I don't mess around much. I have some modifications to my system to make and much more to learn, but with the info on BYC and some help from the good Lord, all will work out fine.

i think we need pictures of this flock of yours
thumbsup.gif

One important thing whether you go big or start small; enjoy! If it's a chore it's no fun. I started with 8 guineas that were given to me then got 20 RIR and 20 Leghorns for more eggs then realized folks want fresh. Now I sell eggs, chicken and turkey and am looking for land for 300+/- and soon to double. :)

There is no average flock size, it all depends on the amount of eggs you want, how much space you have etc. I have found that three to twelve chickens is good for any beginner though.

As said their is no "average" depends, i started with 4 standards and stayed that way for a year! yep, chicken math didn't happen. Now we have silkies and i am adding a few large fowl hens at the end of the month.

I am completely rural, can have whatever i please, heck i own 8 roosters
gig.gif
really all about your goals, i think it's important to start easy, jumping in head first can overwhelm. Especially as feed bills, work level rises and weather becomes unpleasant.

One thing to consider is your city ordinances on chickens and roosters. Where we live there are acreage requirements, and roosters are banned. So we purchased 13 chicks, knowing we would more than likely end up having to get rid of half. For me, being a brand new inexperienced chicken owner, 13 hasn't been overwhelming and has been very enjoyable. I'd say your flock size definitely depends on your tolerance for noise/dust in your house (our brooder is in our sunroom!) and city requirements :) Good luck!

I have around 40 chickens, 2 geese, 8 guineas and i am hatching out quail,pheasants,ducks and emus this year and i just ordered 100 meat chicks and i run a rescue for unwanted animals and my family doesnt mind as long as i work to pay for their feed, keep my grades up, and sell/butcher any extra or mean roos. My advice, get what you want/need but dont over do it too much. My chores take 1-2 hours a day so, depending on your time/financial status should influence the size of your entire flock. Hope this helps!

God so loved the world, He gave us chickens!

Last edited:
I started with 4... 2 EEs, 1 RIR, 1 barred rock...

Then I added a buff orpington and a speckled Sussex...

Then I decided I needed a black copper marans...

Then I decided I needed a white egg layer to complete the egg color palette I had going on... Found a hatchery that had a Polish chick... Came home with her and 4 more peeps (australorp, EE, silver laced wyandotte and light Brahma).

After that, I said "I'm done!!"

But now I want a welsummer, a bravanter, a cochin frizzle and a silkie.....

So I'm working on expanding the coop
lau.gif

8-12 chickens would be a good start in my opinion. you can get more chicks next year if you feel the need.

I too, will be new to the whole chicken thing, and also had to ask myself the basic questions, of how many eggs I will want, how much money do I want to invest in the coop/feed/ongoing needs. For our needs, we decided on 6 hens. I think that will provide with enough eggs for my family, and both sets of parents who live near by. However, I am told if starting with chicks, you can loose a few before they make it to the laying stage, so I had to ask myself am I ok with 4-6, if all don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom