Normal Flock Size?

Remember you still have to clean up after them and deal with lots of eggs, which if you have many friends and relatives it isn't a problem. I have 8 acres and I have right now six birds and four chicks. I don't eat my birds so four of them are free loaders and one is a rooster so I'm only getting eggs from two, works out. I also have a coop but I let them roam. What you need to consider is the coop space and make sure they have enough freedom amongst themselves so they don't fight. Anyway, it's as many as you want!

I started with 4... 2 EEs, 1 RIR, 1 barred rock...

Then I added a buff orpington and a speckled Sussex...

Then I decided I needed a black copper marans...

Then I decided I needed a white egg layer to complete the egg color palette I had going on... Found a hatchery that had a Polish chick... Came home with her and 4 more peeps (australorp, EE, silver laced wyandotte and light Brahma).

After that, I said "I'm done!!"

But now I want a welsummer, a bravanter, a cochin frizzle and a silkie.....

So I'm working on expanding the coop
lau.gif
Way too funny!! I think many of us started out with enough and then had one more piece of pie!

I currently have 40 hens. I sell eggs to alot of neighbor ladies and my hens get the job done. I also free range as well and that cuts back on feed costs. I love my hens so doing chores isn't something I dread. Starting off, I would start small and see how you like it. If your coop and can hold more and you enjoy it, then get more hens. It totally depends on what you're using your chickens for.

I started with 6 chicks over four years ago. A good trial number. Lets just say, if you like it, chicken math will kick in. If you don't, 6 are easy to rehome. Good luck!!!

I started out with 3 hens and 2 roo. When they grew up we got rid of the one roo. Then after 3 years of having those 4 the roo died and I got 13 chicks all pullets. So I now have 16 chickens.

Perspective from the smaller end, I currently have 3 hens, and plan to add 3 more this year. I have almost 1/3rd or an acre in a rural area and originally thought I'd be allowed 10, but city ordinances limit me to 6. So I decided to start small and see where it went. I'm glad I did. I love my girls, but they can be noisy and I think starting small is better in terms of keeping on the neighbors good side. It was also a good idea in terms of getting my dog used to them (she loves to chase them) and figuring out my setup. They come when I call and especially come when the dog is out (knowing I'll protect them). I have a Golden Sex Link, a RIR, and an Easter Egger that keep me supplied in 1-3 eggs a day. That keeps myself and 2 room mates well stocked, with the occasional option of giving away to neighbors, family and friends.

We started with 20 chickens. By the time a year had passed, we were down to 10--mostly predator casualties. If you're a beginner chicken owner and you plan on free ranging your chickens, I would say get about twice what you want to actually have.

The average hen will lay between 3 and 6 eggs a week, depending on the breed, time of year, and her health. So consider how many eggs your family uses each week and figure out how many chickens you should get. For example, if you family uses about 2 dozen eggs a week, you should probably have at least 8 hens. Production will drop in the winter and when the chickens are molting, so keep that in mind. If you get the minimum number to suit your needs, you may find yourself having to buy eggs in the winter.

Don't worry too much about convincing your family. Once you get the first 10 and they realize how awesome chickens are, chicken math will set in and you'll have more chickens (and eggs) than you know what to do with!

I started out with 12 chickens, it was an easy number to take care of. I've since increased my flock size as I have more people wanting eggs than I am able to supply. I agree with much of what has been said already. Your main limiting factor will be space. You don't want to put too many birds in too small a space. I free range year round, the chickens only go in the coop at night (some actually prefer to roost in trees when it's nice) so space isn't too much of a concern for me. Another factor is expense. Like others have said, if free ranging is an option, its a great way to keep feed costs down. However, if you've got predators, expect to loose a few birds when free ranging. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom