Normal Flock Size?

If you have the room, one rooster to approx. 5/7 hens is enough. Once I gave my best rooster 10 hens and he was run ragged just keeping them in line and knowing where they were. I free range on an acre but at night they put themselves to bed in large ex aviary cages. I love watching the different roosters and their ladies..they all appear to have their "own space" but can wander around in close proximity. The "feistiest" one is my Peking Bantam who only has one lady and a "senior citizen" to care for.
I eat or give away eggs on a barter system (veggies etc)
My advise (as from many people) start smaller and line up dependable "chicken sitters" for that weekend away! Happy clucking.

I started with 50 Rhode Island Reds. They were so sweet and friendly. But I have a huge yard fenced and covered. and 2 hen houses! I was told a good flock to start is 25 to 50. but you have to have the room for them! They are alot of work at first! Talk to people who have them and then decide! A lot of people get in way over their heads!

I have a 5 Production Reds and 2 White leghorns and a Bantam that lays eggs. I have a Bantam Rooster, and 5 young White Leghorn Hens. My coop is 8x14 and their run is 40x60. They are happy. I really want a few, maybe 10 more?

for myself and my wife, 5 hens is perfect. we only eat eggs on the weekends, and give the extras to our son who lives nearby. they are kept in a coop attached to a "dog kennel" which is covered with poultry wire, and are allowed to free range daily. We get (usually) 3-4 eggs a day, unless we get a broody hen the number drops to 1-2/day.

I have 2 Sussex and 4 RIR and 4 golden sex links. and have a space of 30 times 30 with a run of the whole backyard adn they go every where in our yard. In the bnext month i will get rid of my RIR and golden sex links and will get 12 more plymouth barred rocks. i love the personality of a speckeled sussex and would recommend them to any one.

I've been impressed with all the Sussex info I've been researching. Personally LUV the Coronation Sussex and know someone I can get one from but I found that Speckled and Light Sussex are the best layers.

I've had both PBRs and Dominiques. For an easier feed bill the Doms were our favourite for a dual purpose bird that will brood its own young too if need be. PBRs were iffy on personality and the Doms were more curious and friendly to humans and flockmates alike.

I have a 5 Production Reds and 2 White leghorns and a Bantam that lays eggs. I have a Bantam Rooster, and 5 young White Leghorn Hens. My coop is 8x14 and their run is 40x60. They are happy. I really want a few, maybe 10 more?

Those are nice dimensions but if that's their only space then go easy on additions. A little crowded to add 10 more. It's said chickens do well in confinement but would you do well in crowded confined quarters and never coming out for a little free-range recreation? If you sell eggs then do what you must but too many chickens are a new owners addiction. Go slow and when adding, add more than one at a time after quarantine so that the newbies can hang out together from the established flock. Good luck - Smiles :)

for myself and my wife, 5 hens is perfect. we only eat eggs on the weekends, and give the extras to our son who lives nearby. they are kept in a coop attached to a "dog kennel" which is covered with poultry wire, and are allowed to free range daily. We get (usually) 3-4 eggs a day, unless we get a broody hen the number drops to 1-2/day.

So glad to see another chicken owner who used a dog kennel to expand their space. We added a 4' x 8' kennel and attached it to the existing coop and reinforced with additional 1/2" wire plus put a pop-up canopy overhead to keep as much rain off the coop and shade in the summer. Our 4 girls free-range all day too and put themselves to roost at dusk. The extra kennel space is for them to have a higher roost area and more room to chill under cover during their noon Siestas.

I want to get about 15 chickens, and right now I've negotiated with my family to get up to 12, and wanted to know what an 'average' flock size for a beginneris to possibly get more leeway..... So, if you live out in the country, with a lot of room, and plan to free-range, what is considered an 'average' flock size? I honestly have no idea, because I got a book for Christmas on URBAN farming, in which there is no 'average' flock. Help?

Including guineas, I've got about 80. Really hoping they hatch something this year because I'm down to 11....

I have 12 breeds total (9 lf; 3 bantam) and that's not counting the 8 mixed chicks..... :D

My personal flock for two people = 6 red sex-links. This provided more than enough eggs to eat, make lots of angel food cakes with (12 egg whites each), enjoy quiche and give away a dozen or two when the mood strikes. My sister has 3 black sex-links for 4 people and rarely buys eggs except when moulting hits...BUT she doesn't bake and her family does sporadic breakfasts.

All birds were self-hatched from eBay eggs with the boy-boys going to the soup coop. Cost per egg was $.90 plus shipping, hatch rate was 85%.

I've read that if the flock gets bigger than about 20 individuals, the chickens won't be able to remember every flock member, which can be stressful to the chickens… Is this true?

No. That's the short answer. They absolutely do know and remember each other, but are better friends than others and will roam and roost together.

Back
Top Bottom