Normal Flock Size?

does any one use a trampoliine and put mesh around the legs cause thats wat i do

Chickens aren't fussy. As long as they have access to shade, shelter, nesting basket, roosting bar (doesn't have to be more than a little perch on the ground - mine perch on a little row of a few bricks), food, water, and bugs plus treats, they're happy. Think secure, secure, secure from predators as a priority.

Sitting on the grass with some treats in your hand and you'll find them wanting to sit on you or around you if you don't make sudden movements if you want to enjoy them on a Sunday afternoon. Ours come running up as soon as they see us - Smiles :)

Including guineas, I've got about 80. Really hoping they hatch something this year because I'm down to 11....

I have 12 breeds total (9 lf; 3 bantam) and that's not counting the 8 mixed chicks.....
big_smile.png

I've noticed a lot of chicken owners and breeders on these threads are from NC. Is NC a very rural State as most chickeneers seem to breed and post from that area?

i use the trampoline as a run for the rabbits to. I also have 7 rabbits with my chickens and get along great as long as there is a little erea where they can sleep away from the chickens when they want they are fine anad dont bother the chickens at all. ive even seen them sleeping together

I've read that if the flock gets bigger than about 20 individuals, the chickens won't be able to remember every flock member, which can be stressful to the chickens… Is this true?

Chickens are like people with different personalities no matter how many are in a flock. Some chickens prefer not to remember other chickens and others are inseparable. My folks had between 25-50 Leghorns in a city block sized area mixed with some ducks and geese. Bigger numbers in a flock break off into groups. Leghorns are a little more independent foragers but will still come together midday for their noon snooze.

Sometimes an inconveniently mixed temperament flock will stress some of the gentler natured breeds. We had to re-home two aggressive breeds who didn't just want to establish leadership but wanted to leadership in a very injurious way towards the Silkies. Now the 2 Silkies are in charge and they can't injure the 2 remaining LF pullets who submit to the Silkies. It's kind of funny watching the LF running from the Silkies who chase them. The LF just run or jump over the smaller Silkies and no one is injured.

Even within the same breed there are different personalities. I personally don't tolerate bullies and re-home them to an egg-seller. The LF pullets I have remaining are a Buff Leghorn (calmer temperament than White or Brown Leghorns) and a purebred APA Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and both are very independent and not interested in flock politics. Sometimes I find them sleeping in a nestbox with the 2 Silkies at night. 4 chickens in one nestbox is funny to see.

I've noticed a lot of chicken owners and breeders on these threads are from NC. Is NC a very rural State as most chickeneers seem to breed and post from that area?

I've only been here for about a year can half. No. NC is not rural, certainly not compared to western states where you have to drive 200 miles in any direction to find a larger city than yours that's under 50,000 and where ghost towns and post office outposts are on the maps as "towns." Or like in Utah, where you can drive for hours on the highway, seeing only ranch exits and no ranch (which, to be fair, is pretty much every state out west less Ca). Or like in Texas, where you are likely to see a pack of wild pigs crossing state highways, disappearing into the cotton.

Where I live now is very argricultural, but not rural like the West.

Start small!

My bantams maintain, no matter WHAT I do, Northern Fowl Mites, which can make them bloody, scabbed, and utterly miserable if the mites get bad. Currently (since fall) I have been BOTH dusting each chickens vent with Sevin dust, and also applying 3 drops of Ivomec Pour-On to the base of each chickens skull. EVERY WEEKEND, without fail. It's the only way I can keep them (visibly) mite free.

I have to discard their eggs.

I've got our regimen down to a fast pattern, now, but--seven bantams is a lot less time and fuss than 40 standards! Start small, see what problems you encounter.

And yes, my henhouse was new, and it and run are clean; I scoop droppings every day, and wash and spray the henhouse in summer. Sparrows can squeeze through poultry netting.

In the summer, when it's hot enough, I also bathe them to knock off any I can, and spray each one with non-toxic spray, since I don't want use chemicals in the summer when I can employ gentler means. In winter, however, I can't use a wet spray on them, hence the chemicals.

(No, diatomaceous earth did not do a THING for the mites.)

If I didn't do all this work, the mites would be horrible.

Again, start small, and don't add birds to your flock without quarantine! Even then, pests can hitchhike in. Make sure you enjoy them enough to do all the work it can take.

Back
Top Bottom