Norman the Rooster

caf.gif
Please dont fall if you take pictures.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say hey, I'm still alive, and yes I'll be posting full updates on Norman, Norma, and eggs tomorrow. It's been a challenging and busy past few days for me (both in good and bad ways) so I've been way too distracted to spend much time on BYC.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say hey, I'm still alive, and yes I'll be posting full updates on Norman, Norma, and eggs tomorrow. It's been a challenging and busy past few days for me (both in good and bad ways) so I've been way too distracted to spend much time on BYC.

You mean you have a life beyond BYC?!?!? Just kidding, you just share as you can
thumbsup.gif

Meant to post these yesterday, but I had to make a pie after I got home from work (among other things) so I didn't get a chance.

Norman is finally starting to grow his main tail feathers back - his sickles are close behind. You can't see that very well in these photos, though! I can't wait until he's fully feathered again! Norma on the other hand is still looking as gorgeous as ever. These photos were taken in the back of the shop, where the birds hang out when I don't have time to set up their outdoor pen.

Sadly; the second batch of eggs is once again infertile. I put in a third batch just because I had them on hand and the incubator was empty, but I'm doubtful they're fertile either. I will most likely be attempting AI sometime soon which, while rather awkward, will hopefully yield some good results.

Last edited:
Hey QueenMisha sorry to hear that the second lot of eggs were also infertile
sad.png

Sorry, this is probably a silly question but in my defence, no roosters here .. How would Norman deal with Norma’s long and beautiful tail; if you get my meaning
wink.png

Hey QueenMisha sorry to hear that the second lot of eggs were also infertile :(

Sorry, this is probably a silly question but in my defence, no roosters here .. How would Norman deal with Norma’s long and beautiful tail; if you get my meaning ;)

Generally the hens move their tails to one side or another during the mating process. Even with such a large tail, I think that she is able to move it out of the way well enough.

And you aren't kidding about long tails! I've measured and both Norman and Norma are about 50% tail by full body length. I intend on adding it to the standard that they should be equal parts bird and tail.

Well, you are certainly on your way to tails 50% the size of their body! They are so pretty! I'm gonna have to drive over to CA just to buy their offspring.......

Oh shoot I was wishing those eggs would be fertile. If Norma doesn't know how to operate that tail that might be the problem.
hide.gif
I know the tails are gorgeous but in order to achieve fertility in the future off spring you might want to go for 25% tail.

Generally the hens move their tails to one side or another during the mating process. Even with such a large tail, I think that she is able to move it out of the way well enough.

And you aren't kidding about long tails! I've measured and both Norman and Norma are about 50% tail by full body length. I intend on adding it to the standard that they should be equal parts bird and tail.

When it comes time to collect from Norman I would highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a microscope. You don't need to do a official sperm count, just look at a portion of his sperm and see if it is active to make sure he isn't shooting blanks. AI should yield the results you're looking for if Norman is indeed fertile, they sell a few supplements that help increase the fertility of roosters that may be worth a try. These are the only other things I can think of to increase your odds, for the most part it sounds like you're on the right track already.

Back
Top Bottom