North Carolina

:thumbsup [COLOR=FF0000] Nice looking setup![/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Like DH says... we will be at WCA tomorrow..e you there! Hoping to find some deals.... shhh the DH doesn't need to know til it's too late to do anything about it... LoL[/COLOR]

Hee. Hee. Love it. "Oops did I raise my number dear"....

Tellvus all about it. You know I love silkies and top hats and cages. Now it looks like when we return DH wants one of those huge ducks because we already lost 2 of ours and he is upset. We believe a chicken hawk.

Last edited:
With all the work late into the night getting the younglings moved...I forgot to shut the original henhouse door.
he.gif
Another hen taken last night. One of my black splits. Found her this morning.
hit.gif
She was taken over the 2 x 4 fencing around the chicken moat, across the barn pasture and over/through the field fence into the back pasture, and nearly to the back fence. Both of those pastures are small, and this is across the shorter way so we're talking less than 100 yards, but over two fences. And she was not dragged, or there would have been a better feather trail. Something carried a full grown Orpington hen.
hu.gif
We just found a few clumps, and hubby found the carcass just doing a walk-about. Head/shoulders eaten, but that's it.

rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

I'd say "good morning", but it really isn't.

So I have 10 Orpington eggs in the incubator, now I will need lots of advise as it has been years since I incubated eggs and this bator has an auto egg turner
cool.png
how cool is that. The world of chicken raising has changed since I dabbled in it years ago. The neighbor who loaned me this incubator says he has a very good success rate with this particular unit. I am just hoping for pullets. The lady I got the eggs from has not had a lot of pullets in her batches so
fl.gif
. Off to watch the temperature!

She posted yesterday that the jam class was on. We are on the road to WCA as I type!!!! Haven't been but once and that was last September!!! Excited!!
D.gif

Debbie and Steve

He is wearing jeans and blue ball cap, I am wearing black capris and light orange top. Find us fellow BYCers!!! Would love to meet you!!

Okay....the 10 x 30 pen the younglings came from is now cleaned out. I released one pair of bantams in there to have some "dirt time". The roo, Meanie, is torn between chasing bugs and dust bathing. His lady, Sweetie, is ignoring him and exploring.

Started cleaning out the old henhouse, as it's getting "refurbished" too, and hit a jam. I don't know where I'm putting the old bedding and stuff. Normally it would be the compost bins, but hubby didn't use the old compost in the garden this year, so they were never emptied. They're full since cleaning out the younglings pen. I was going to put it in an empty spot in the garden, but he also put plastic down, so now it's just one large fire ant nest underneath. I had started to pull up one corner to make a pile, but don't fancy getting eaten alive. I'd have him do it, but he's off to the gun show in Wilmington. I need to get this done...decisions, decisions. Someone please do my thinking for me today. My brain isn't working.

We're not cancelled, I've been so busy cleaning and going to shopping to get everything I got all engulfed in that last night and this morning!

It's on, and I hope more people can come then I expect. Looks like a lot of thing came up today for people.

I still have plenty of room, and again, I bought everything for it... so no one has to bring ANYTHING, just their booties and willingness to learn. :D

Today... 2:30pm.... Learn the science and art of making and canning jams/jellies. Looks like we will have time to cover pickling as well. I have lots of drinks and snacks for a fun filled day.
clap.gif
LOTS of open seats still.

Back
Top Bottom