North Carolina

He's still here this Morning. He isn't acting weird or anything. He is just laying on the porch. I put out a carrier with food in it for him to try to trap him and give him a place out of the rain last night. He must have slept in it because there's his hair on the towel inside. I don't think he has rabies. We have been feeding him and petting him for months now. He hasn't been aggressive at all.

I have a pair of ameraucanas for sale. They are full silkied. This is not from mixing with silkies. They are pure bred with this resulting in a mutation that produced a rare St-2 mutation called stringy feathers. They lay a blue egg. The first silkied showed up in Texas about 10 years ago. There are several of us breeding to try and get these going. I will only have this one pair available this year. PM if interested. I am NPIP in Mocksville.

Our dog got rabies from a bite we never saw and he never did the standard frothing at the mouth...it isn't always obvious.
My loving house cat of 16 years scratched me while hopping off,my lap and I got sick from it. Litter box germs i guess... You can hope your right or you can go get checked and get shots to be sure, especially with tetanus...
I know what it is to not afford healthcare. Didn't have it when I was growing up. Everything that happened was out of pocket. I learned real early to stitch myself up but dad never scrimped on the necessities. He found a way to afford it. Please, if possible figure something out. Research a low cost or free clinic. Not sure if they have one nearby?

Welcome to the new folks!!
Hope things are well with the cat bite. Wish I had a suggestion other than "get it checked," but I don't.

Today is the first day in some time that all the chickens have been released to pasture in the morning. They have only been getting evenings out for weeks, due to a nesting pair of hawks. But they cut the cornfields around us on Wednesday. The rabbits have less cover and the doves are plentiful. (Although hubby is reducing them this morning!) So today is a test. Fingers crossed!

In other good news, the first of my pullets has started to lay! Lovely olive eggs, coming up! There are about 40 POL pullets, so I look forward to my egg collecting to see what is new! Usually I sell off half the POL pullets in the fall, but this year I can't keep up with the eating egg sales (The ONE good thing to come to NC from the AI outbreak!) so this year I am keeping them all. I moved six Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerels into the layer pen last night, so all the eggs coming out of there will be either EE or OE.

I'm going to have some beautiful egg cartons. The only thing I don't have is white. I'd love a good layer of large white eggs where the bird isn't white, but all the ones I've researched lay medium eggs or aren't really good layers. Suggestions are welcome!

I would also like to introduce a different line of Welsummers. Mine are originally from Whitmore Farm. Anyone have a different lineage? I am not looking for show birds, but I do want dark eggs. Dark speckled eggs are even better!

Lexington area!

I've got 23 chickens and one turned out to be a rooster. Looking to give him up to someone with a good home.

Last edited:
Just now waiting for my new Hampshire Reds to start laying. We are getting about an egg a day from 2 of our 3 leghorns, the 3rd one is almost there

Well it's day 4 and healing up nicely. Cat seems fine too. Had a lady that works at the vet look at it and I described it to her and all and she said it should be fine. Thank God. Just praying 6 more days go by and I will be in the clear if he is okay.

Oh I have health insurance but I haven't met my deductible so therefore everything comes out of pocket...and my insurance doesn't cover that anyway. Company health insurance is too expensive for them not to help pay for SOMETHING. I pay almost 400 a month out of my paycheck. That's a whole other paycheck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom