North Carolina

Hey all,
I'm out here near Wake Forest / Raleigh. I'm new to chickens, and just got my first chicks last May. They're all laying now, and I'm about to try hatching my own.

I'm focusing on bantam breeds for ease of management and cute factor, and because I don't mind tiny eggs. Mostly Dominiques (laying), with a few Rhode Island Reds (not laying yet) mixed in.

Anyone have Barbu De Watermael eggs for sale around here? How's everyone's birds doing with these temperatures in the teens?
Hi! I also have Dominique bantams, I'm in Pitt County.
IMG_20240114_161705568~2.jpg

Also if you don’t mind having them shipped I know @KristenG also sells hatching eggs and chicks, she’s in Tennessee.
That's a good option; if I can't find them locally I might try shipping them in. Thanks again.

Hi! I also have Dominique bantams, I'm in Pitt County.
Hey! Nice looking birds.

Last edited:
Hi North Carolinians, has anyone here ever surrendered an animal to the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue? I drove my Welsh Harlequin duck to them a couple of weeks ago, since she had been struggling for months since she fractured her legs. I asked if I could get updates on her and they gave me the email to do that. I later checked on her and never heard back, so I texted instead and was told they don't give updates on owner surrendered animals.

It was unexpected. I'm a little confused about why, and sad not to ever know what happened to her.

I think they're great people, and they post a lot of updates on various animals via their Instagram. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with that policy or knows why they might do that.

Hi North Carolinians, has anyone here ever surrendered an animal to the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue? I drove my Welsh Harlequin duck to them a couple of weeks ago, since she had been struggling for months since she fractured her legs. I asked if I could get updates on her and they gave me the email to do that. I later checked on her and never heard back, so I texted instead and was told they don't give updates on owner surrendered animals.

It was unexpected. I'm a little confused about why, and sad not to ever know what happened to her.

I think they're great people, and they post a lot of updates on various animals via their Instagram. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with that policy or knows why they might do that.
Sorry, no. I contacted them about rehoming cockerels, but they were a very long drive for me. I wound up taking my boys to a local auction instead.

Sorry you get no follow ups. I'd be sad about that too.

I don't have any experience with them either. Just a guess but maybe they do not have the staff to handle a lot of request?

Sorry you get no follow ups. I'd be sad about that too.

I don't have any experience with them either. Just a guess but maybe they do not have the staff to handle a lot of request?
They did say they were short staffed, although they also said it was their policy not to give updates on owner surrenders 😕.

Thanks for the tip!
@MenelausMontrose - Heidi is currently working on Mille Fleur Watermaal. A lot of them are in the project phase right now, a mixture of Mottled Watermaal and Mille Fleur d’Uccle. She will be breeding her F2s this year. I am not sure if she is going to keep her Mottled and Lavender mottled Watermaal or have any chicks from them this year or not. Hopefully she does.

I raise Quail and Blue Quail Watermaal. I will be restarting my line of black Watermaal this year, but those won’t be available for a year or two yet. And yes, I do ship. Occasionally, I go to a North Carolina show. Hope to see you at one sometime!

Back
Top Bottom