North Carolina

My goodness! I didn't realize it had been so long since I had been on here. It seems like I have missed a lot but at 5:00 am I am not going to be able to read 300+ posts.

I hope everyone, new and old, are doing well. My time has been gobbled up by play practice for the Christmas play at church. I will try to be better.
hide.gif

I saw two flakes of snow yesterday and got so excited! I hope we can get a couple of good ones this year!!

Keep warm today

My goodness! I didn't realize it had been so long since I had been on here. It seems like I have missed a lot but at 5:00 am I am not going to be able to read 300+ posts.

I hope everyone, new and old, are doing well. My time has been gobbled up by play practice for the Christmas play at church. I will try to be better.
hide.gif

I saw two flakes of snow yesterday and got so excited! I hope we can get a couple of good ones this year!!

Keep warm today
You and alot of people I know want alot of snow...me not so much. I like the snow that last a few hours, maybe a day, THAT'S IT. After that I hate it. Years of breaking/ removing ice and than adding warm water several times a day for a lot of animals, plus having to feed them in the snow can quickly kill the fun of snow. Not that many people have seen my DH, but snow guarantees that NO ONE will see him, unless you go in my house (which he will have feeling like summer). The kids play the first day (I have to help make snowmen, chickens, horses, or whatever else they think of). They also do snow angles and if possible a snow ball fight (which if I am lucky, the neighbor's niece and son in law will be up the hill at the neighbors house to drag out his son and do a snowball fight with my kids so I don't have to). I take them into the field/ woods beside the house to see what animal tracks we can find. But if the snow lasts longer than a day, the kids wont go out side either. But I have to admit, snow, whether just flakes or more, before thanksgiving in this area doesn't sit well with me. I had a feeling that this winter would be a cold one, I was just hoping that since we had dried up some before hand that we wouldn't get snow. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I found my rye grass at a feed and seed type country store. As far as the issue of being treated, I don't know what to tell you. However, I just had my yard seeded, and my hens have gobbled most of that up. (I'll never have a good stand of grass in my back yard I fear) anyway, they seem fine but it can't be the best thing to eat. I was wondering if you could tell me more about where to get this BOSS stuff? Is it easy to grow?

Black oil sunflower seed aka BOSS can be found anywhere bird seed is sold - even Walmart. I got a 20lb bag at Southern States for around $14 I think. I've only just started it, but after the initial 24hr soak things are looking pretty good. I've read that it takes a little longer to grow than barley/wheat etc. but is still pretty easy. The bag we got has a LOT of waste product in it (stems, etc.) that I fear will mold if left in, so I've been doing my best to sort them out which is a giant pain. Next time I'm getting a better brand of bird seed. :/ I'll keep you posted. :)

Hello chicken people. I am enjoying the beautiful weather and I really enjoyed seeing snow last night but glad it did not stick.

I moved 3 of the chickens to the other coop 2 days ago because one of them was getting picked on and was not allowed to eat. Well I had to move them back last night because I was so afraid it would be too cold for them.

On a really sour note... when I moved the 3 chickens the other night... afterword I noticed a bunch of red bumps on my arm.... after doing some research I have decided the birds must have some kind of mite. So I dusted the coop with some seven dust and DE this morning and added some garlic to their food. Hopefully if I keep up the garlic every week we can wipe out whatever it is. The kids handle the chickens so much I am worried they will get bit too. And darn if it does not itch!

How long will I need to throw my eggs out since I treated the coop with DE? Or do I need to?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello chicken people. I am enjoying the beautiful weather and I really enjoyed seeing snow last night but glad it did not stick.

I moved 3 of the chickens to the other coop 2 days ago because one of them was getting picked on and was not allowed to eat. Well I had to move them back last night because I was so afraid it would be too cold for them.

On a really sour note... when I moved the 3 chickens the other night... afterword I noticed a bunch of red bumps on my arm.... after doing some research I have decided the birds must have some kind of mite. So I dusted the coop with some seven dust and DE this morning and added some garlic to their food. Hopefully if I keep up the garlic every week we can wipe out whatever it is. The kids handle the chickens so much I am worried they will get bit too. And darn if it does not itch!

How long will I need to throw my eggs out since I treated the coop with DE? Or do I need to?

Thanks in advance for your help.
None of what you have used would cause you to have to throw out the eggs.

BOSS is great to feed to chickens and to horses even. We feed the horses whole oats and BOSS and the chickens eat the undigested seeds from the manure- effectively spreading it for us without us ever having to hook the drag up to the tractor. Plus, come the summer, the manure pile looks like a sunflower garden. I get mine at Lowes and it germinates really well.

Thanks in advance for your help
Poultry mites will bite people too and give some people a good rash. Keep up the sevin dust, you can even apply it around your chickens vent area (that's where the mites like to hang out besides the edges of your coop).

Poultry mites will bite people too and give some people a good rash. Keep up the sevin dust, you can even apply it around your chickens vent area (that's where the mites like to hang out besides the edges of your coop).
You can dust the whole bird with sevin dust, since mites are not just found around the vent area.

Back
Top Bottom