North Carolina

I need some help. ... my egg production from 18 hens has dropped to about 4 in about two weeks.. at first I thought they were molting but they don't seem to be getting over it. I am beginning to really worry. Their appetite is as high as ever. I haven't noticed anything in their poop everything seems normal... any thoughts. I have one easter eager that has lost some feathers but rest are normal... help!

Any guesses on the gender of these 2? They're 9-1/2 weeks old. They're basically barnyard mix, but I think the black one is something like silver laced wyandotte x EE. White one is maybe something like columbian wyandotte x cinnamon queen?

Thanks in advance!

Any guesses on the gender of these 2? They're 9-1/2 weeks old. They're basically barnyard mix, but I think the black one is something like silver laced wyandotte x EE. White one is maybe something like columbian wyandotte x cinnamon queen? Thanks in advance!
Are you sure that black one isn't a crow? ;) My guess would be the white one could be a girl and the black one could be a boy from his tail angle. But then again the white one has a pretty huge comb.. At this age I generally assume everyone is a rooster until they prove otherwise ;)

Last edited:
Carolbeau :
Going to edit this.... check the saddle and hackle feathers. Pointy feathers are a clear sign of roosters. I cannot see well enough in the pictures.

Last edited:
Any guesses on the gender of these 2?  They're 9-1/2 weeks old.  They're basically barnyard mix, but I think the black one is something like silver laced wyandotte x EE.  White one is maybe something like columbian wyandotte x cinnamon queen?

Thanks in advance!

White one = roo (?)
Black one = pullet

Last edited:
THanks, all!!

Beth, I'm trying real hard to tell by the saddle and hackle feathers, but I'm just so new at this that I don't know what 'pointy' looks like. Lol. I've only had chickens for a year and all mine are hens so far.

The black ones to me look curved - like our other girls. And that one acts like the other girls. The white one I have seen sort of facing off with one of our other young ones (a few weeks younger than these guys)... None of the others did that. Not sure if that is just pecking order order stuff or if that was rooster behavior. Again, I'm just too green. :)

The white ones do look slightly pointier to me, I think... Here's another photo where I think the hackle? feathers might be pointy.

Hey all! Welcome to all new flockers!

It's been a busy time for me, so I've not been able to jump on and say "Hi!" I've got an appointment coming up with the Area Extension Agent for Livestock and Foragers, from the County Cooperative Extension Office. She's going to come out to our property, do some soil testing and check the areas we've set aside as pastures for our sheep we're hoping to get in June. She'll let us know what we need to do to get ready for them. Plus, in May I'm going to a regional goat and sheep producer training class, so I can learn about some things that I'll need to know about sheep health and care. I'm so excited!

In chicken news, we had a broody banty hatch out just one of three eggs I gave her. One died mid hatch, the other about a week before hatch date. On top of not getting all three to hatch (which I figured might not happen), we lost one of our 16 week old pullets to a hawk on Monday. So frustrating to lose them. DH wants to get into raising meat birds, and since all ours are dual purpose, I'm trying to convince him to get a few hens and maybe a roo that are meat birds (really, I just want more chickens!) and breeding them instead of our dual purpose.

Anyway, this day is too gorgeous to be inside, so I'm going outside to clean coops, and maybe come in long enough to bake a batch of bagels, and maybe some pretzel rolls too. ;)

Hope you all have a great day!

Soupy.... Every now and then ...the hens need a break.   But question:  have you ever wormed them?

No I have not. The oldest are about 1.5 years old others will be a yr in July. Before that no chickens.

You think I need to worm them? How do I do that?

Carolbeau- the heckle feathers are on the neck (males will be longer and pointed at the ends and hens will be shorter and rounded at the ends when older) Saddle feathers are on the top of the back between the shoulders and the base of the tail (males are long and pointed also, females are short and round) Young males tend to start getting these male feathers at 3 months of age, might have to move some feathers to see them if they are just coming in (could be a little bit older depending on the bird). On most roosters these feathers are also shiny. You should be able to see these male feathers in the picture above. But I would say your black and white is a rooster and the solid black is looking like a pullet at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom