North Carolina

I'll give you advice if I am able to successfully hatch any! :p  I bought this one... http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/farm-innovators-pro-series-circulated-air-incubator for ~$100 with a coupon. I really REALLY wanted this Brinsea... https://www.brinsea.com/p-491-octagon-20-advance-digital-egg-incubator.aspx but couldn't justify spending $435 w/ shipping. I would love to have a broody hen, but none of my breeds are likely to go there. If anyone has chicks now or in a couple weeks that are likely to grow up to be broody, and you are within a couple hours of Greensboro, I would love to buy or swap with you! Please let me know. Thanks, you awesome helpful BYC peeps!

Rabyn

I'm in s.e. Guildford county. The only one I've had go broody- several times- is my Sebright... crazy little chicken! If she goes broody again I may get her a few eggs to hatch... So far she's been the exception not the rule!

Now - I'm about 1/2 way between Spring Lake and Vass with a Cameron address about a 1 mile off of Vass Rd/Hwy 690.

How many are you incubating? What varieties? When is your expected hatch date?

I'm toying with doing a bantam Ameraucana chick order from John Blehm.

Our current barnyard flock has several EE and 1 OE, production reds and 5 barnyard bantam mixes. Then I have 2 blue Ameraucana pullets and 1 blue Ameraucana cockerel. 1 Cuckoo Marans & 3 Cuckoo Marans pullets, 4 buff Wyandotte pullets and 1 Ameraucana/leghorn Roo. Still have 4 barnyard mix roos for the the freezer/table - should have done it sooner.

Was reading thru your blog - do you have your "green house thingies" outside? How did they hold up with the freeze/cold weather? Seedlings do ok or do you have heat out to the "green house thingies"?

Also would like to speak w/ you re: your 22 Jan post - Wyandotte & Red Broiler chicks.

And some gardening ??s...

I'm not too far from you with a Cameron address too, near the food lion

claudia

Soooo - what do you have?? Want to hear all about them!

well, started with 2 1/2 dozen eggs. 8 White dorkings, 13 Jubilee orpingtons and 7 lavender orpingtons. I had all dorkings, 2 lavendars, and 5 jubilee clear. I set an even dozen into lockdown. I ended up hatching out 5 jubilee and 4 lavender orpingtons. turns out two were quiters midway and the one was a late quitter. I didn't open it. I don't wanna traumatize myself. But there was no movement or chirping in the egg.

They're soooo cutesy wutesy though.

Claudia

Last edited:
Does anyone in western NC or GA

have jubilee orp. eggs for sale to hatch? Thanks

try Abundant Meadow farms on facebook. She's in Apex and her eggs are $30 a dozen.

Claudia

edited to add: NEVERMIND, I see someone directed you closer to your location

Last edited:
Looking to do some meat birds this year.

Has anyone in NC ordered meat birds (or any birds) from Cackle Hatchery? They have a lot of mixed reviews on the rest of the forum. Seems they are either hated or loved, but I can't see where folks ordered either the Hungry Man's Special or the Fry Pan Special (both are heavy Heritage breeds - so not ready in 4-6 weeks). Also, if youve done heritage birds - is it worth it (ok?) to do w/ the difference in feed/time to butcher? For us - I think this would work as then could stagger butcher dates while still doing a larger order (less expensive up front cost).

I was personally looking at doing the Fry Pan Special and if anyone is interested in doing a split order - could order 100 at one time. I have a couple of other folks wanting some, both as chicks and after processed, but if we ordered 100 (to start) could definitely split the order.

What say folks in the Vass, S Pines, Fayetteville, Spring Lake & Sanford areas?

I'd be up for this but not for at least another month.

Claudia

Back
Top Bottom