Scrap Coop

By bobhoke · Nov 10, 2016 · Updated Dec 27, 2016 · ·
  1. bobhoke

    This was a lean too a year ago. Nothing was square or planned on it - ugly but manageable. I took what it offered and closed it in with raw lumber, added a front door and a horizontal rectangular floor door in the rear to let the birds out daily in the fenced summer run. We also added a winter run to the right with a polycarbonate roof which I hope generates heat in the winter and allows the bird to scratch around in the dirt here in northern Michigan. Last winter they just sat in the coop all winter and got frost bit - not good. Only one bird (EE) went out in the snow (cowards). As you can see, its just thrown together from a bunch of scraps. It has a plywood floor with a heavy duty tarp over it. There is also nesting boxes inside. We just winterized it also. We'll likely decorate the front next year and we still have a days work left. We'll add horizontal vent screen to the front and rear for airflow. I'll post more later and read what I post first - oops.

    Share This Article

Recent User Reviews

  1. CCUK
    2/5, 2 out of 5, reviewed Jul 17, 2018
  2. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife
    "Scrap Coop"
    2/5, 2 out of 5, reviewed Jul 9, 2018
    Love the idea of using something already existing and turning into a great coop for the chickens. Wish you had more pictures of the steps taken when you added on. Good job!
    penny1960 likes this.
    1. bobhoke
      Thanks for the compliment. The chicken coop was literally an overhead storage area with and existing metal roof for lumber and junk when we bought the house. It had no sides or floor.
      1. Built a frame and internal supports for a floor and it was eyeball leveled with 2x8s
      2. Screwed down a 1/2" plywood floor.
      3. Bought a Super Heavy Duty Tarp and stapled it over the floor to prevent rot. It has worked for the past 3 years thus far.
      4. Went to the amish lumber mill and bought thick 8' random type slab wood.
      5. Measured an old external door and built a frame for it in the wall.
      6. Went to Lowes and bought two small windows and built a wall frame for them.
      7. Built a frame in the back wall for a low horizontal door.
      8. Built a frame for the winter run on the side.
      9. Then I closed it all in by screwing down the Amish lumber side by side until it was completely enclosed - nothing fancy.
      10. Put on the door and painted it.
      11. Then I decided we needed a winter run so I added two posts to the outside to create a 3 sided enclosure and a sloping roof topped off with a polycarbonate roof. Does not generate heat in the winter, but gives the chickens an area to scratch around in all winter w/o the snow.


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. bobhoke
    Well thats the finished product. I don't let my chickens out at all. I will let them out later to see if they'll go. They do go to an enclosed winter run we built. It has a dirt floor and that ground has not frozen yet. I think they'll prefer that to going outside, but we'll see. Anyhow its done for now. I'm sure I'll add on next year.
  2. sheetmetaltom
    mines even rougher looking then that, but it serves the purpose. my chickens go out in the covered run in the winter and as long as the snow isnt to deep they roam around outside of it. though i always dig some paths for them or if its really deep i take the snow blower back and make paths. they would get bored and probably cause problems with each other if locked up for to long. havent had anyone get frostbite and my first 2 winters were really cold. i dont use any heat, i just let them adapt to the weather, and i havent had any issues so far.
  3. penny1960
    I think for starting with a lean to you have done a great job for your birds saftey and pleasure
  4. twigcrafter
    I love the rustic look.
  5. Brookliner
    Pictures please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: