North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
Hatching what? Chickens, Quail? Anything within reach? Heehee. This weekend I ordered a kit for a Chicken Tractor/pen.

By the way, here is a local guys who makes small coops out of "found" materials. Pretty cool if you ask me!

https://www.facebook.com/MountainManChickenCoops
Hi Darina,

I purchased three of Mountain Man small coops ($75 ea) last year for breeding pens and I am very happy with my coops. I will likely order a larger coop from him this year when I get Red Dorkings so they are separate from my Silver Grey.
Nancy

By the way, I am thoroughly enjoying those Silver Grey Dorking chicks I bought from you! I would post pictures, but I haven't mastered that technology yet...

I think I've got it now! Silver Grey Dorking chicks, they will be three weeks old tomorrow.

I think I've got it now! Silver Grey Dorking chicks, they will be three weeks old tomorrow.
That's great Darina!! Wondering how they are doing. Fertility with my Dorkings have not been good so far this year...lots of eggs going in the incubators, however, only getting a few to hatch. I'm thinking it might be the weather? Not sure. I should be getting Red Dorking chicks in about a month and I am so excited!

Hey Spokane folks and North Idaho,. My neighbor and I are planning on adding some variety to our flocks. I have an R-com incubator, which has performed wonderfully. We are wondering if some back yard folks around here have some fertile eggs of interesting or rare breeds to sell. My neighbor is more in it for the eggs, as she has lots of mouths to feed. I like interesting and unusual breeds. Message me if you have any to offer. I'd love some unusual Orpingtons like lavender but hey, I think nearly all chickens are beautiful and interesting. I'm not a huge stickler on fancy schmancy breeding lines, but do want solid assurance of what will be hatched out. Thanks!

That's great Darina!! Wondering how they are doing. Fertility with my Dorkings have not been good so far this year...lots of eggs going in the incubators, however, only getting a few to hatch. I'm thinking it might be the weather? Not sure. I should be getting Red Dorking chicks in about a month and I am so excited!

They are doing great. When they get bigger I will send you pictures of their lovely toes and feathering if you like. They hate to be caught, but once they are held, they settle down, probably soaking up a little extra body heat! Since there are only two of them, they do everything together and when I pick up one, the other one starts calling for hatchmate immediately.

I'm sorry to hear that their fertility rates are low. That must be discouraging...

They grow visibly everyday, and I'm looking forward to that day next month when they have enough feathers and the weather is nice enough to take outside. Field trip, yay!

If you don't mind me asking, have you found much local interest for the chicks?

They are doing great. When they get bigger I will send you pictures of their lovely toes and feathering if you like. They hate to be caught, but once they are held, they settle down, probably soaking up a little extra body heat! Since there are only two of them, they do everything together and when I pick up one, the other one starts calling for hatchmate immediately.

I'm sorry to hear that their fertility rates are low. That must be discouraging...

They grow visibly everyday, and I'm looking forward to that day next month when they have enough feathers and the weather is nice enough to take outside. Field trip, yay!

If you don't mind me asking, have you found much local interest for the chicks?
I don't advertise the Dorkings very often. I sold some last year locally on Craigslist and have a few people that will check back with me this spring. I will hatch out more chicks and sell them this year, however, my focus really needs to be on my breeding stock and working towards the SOP for the breed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6728005/width/200/height/400/flags/LL
Here is a picture from today, growing like weeds!

They look better in person for sure. The patterns on their feathers are starting to show, and they are lovely.
Beautiful girl! Thanks for posting! One of the four hatchmates (your two plus the other two I still have) turned out to be a cockerel. I was a little surprised because I was certain they were all pullets! LOL!. He's nice looking and now towers over the pullet.

Oh really? Then I am glad that I have these ones! If we were farther from our neighbors, I would love to have a rooster,but not here. Six weeks now. Yay! I have taken them for short field tips outside in this 2'x 3' dog pen, on those warm days the last two weekends. Last year I got chicks that hatched the first of May, so by this age, they were outside full time. Every time is a learning experience. I am looking forward to having these ones out of the spare room and digging in the grass.
1f603.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom