North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
Pips & Peeps sells Ameraucana. I got my Lavender Ameraucana project hen and fertile eggs fom her. She is just across the border in WA.
I purchased three white Ameraucanas straight run from Pips n Peeps and they were beautiful chicks. Two turned out to be cockerels so I advertised them on Craigslist because I had too many other cockerels. Anyways, the gal that took those two cockerels a couple years later took a beautiful picture of "Leo" and submitted the photo to Backyard Poultry Magazine for a photo contest. Leo's photo is on the cover of December/January 2015 Issue!! So exciting for Judy!

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/published-issues/

Thanks Darina! The more I research, the more unsure I become! At first I was thinking Barred Rock and Buff Orpingtons because we were just going to dip our toes in with just eggs for a while. Then I started doing the math about raising some meat birds and how it can be cheaper than purchasing whole birds at the store, with more confidence about what goes in them. So at some point after getting the layers I want to do some meat birds. But then looking more at layer breeds and some good dual purpose birds, I'm fancying the Laced Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, Partridge Plymouth Rocks have super pretty feathers, Speckled Sussex. And for the pretty factors, even if totally not for our climate: Lakenvelders, Welsummer, Spangled Hamburg... man I could just go on and on
lol.png

But in reality, I think we'll start with the Barred Rock, and maybe Silver Laced Wyandotte for the eggs starting with 6-10 chickens, then move on from there. Tried telling my husband we could just order about 40 straight run of a breed (or two straight runs of 20) and then just butcher the extras, but he just gave me one of "those" faces... you know, like I'm crazy. He might be right!
idunno.gif
If you're crazy, then so am I!! LOL! I like all the breeds you mentioned as well! Next you will be incubating hatching eggs! That's when the craziness and chicken math really settle in!!!
jumpy.gif
I know because I have three incubators running
wee.gif

Nancy

If you're crazy, then so am I!! LOL! I like all the breeds you mentioned as well! Next you will be incubating hatching eggs! That's when the craziness and chicken math really settle in!!!
jumpy.gif
I know because I have three incubators running
wee.gif

Nancy
Oh yes, I popped that one on him last night and he gave me another one of those "really, you can't be serious" faces...
smack.gif
<<Pretty sure he was the red one in this smiley.

I
Hey guys, 

So glad I found this thread!  I am in the Post Falls area currently, and brand spanking new to BYC.  We don't yet have chickens because the neighborhood we're in (HOA ordinances), but are attempting to sell and purchase some actual property with a few acres!  My husband wants me to find local chicks instead of hatcheries that ship via mail.  I agree that there's less chance of chick deaths that way, but am not seeing much in the way locally either. I bet I'm just not looking in the right places... At this point in time, it might be summer time before we'd be closing on a property, possibly longer if things get held up. Yes, I'm crossing every digit and appendage possible that we can close on a new house before summer, but things happen...

Any suggestions on where to look other than BYC/Murray McMurray/Ideal/Cackle, North 40 (formerly D&B/Big R), and Country Store? Craigslist is kinda.... scary LOL!

I'm in Post Falls as well and I haven't found too many local breeders either. However, there are some in Oregon, Washington and Northern California. I've gone on Craigslist and looked in the surrounding areas also but, I make sure they have a website to their farms first before contacting them. There are listings on the APA site for breeders and many ship eggs and/or chicks. Also, local farmers markets will be opening in May, I believe, so you can go and speak with the folks that are selling fresh eggs and find out if they have any available for purchase. If you're wanting started birds, many of them won't be available for another couple months anyway, so you'll have plenty of time to set up your new property. Hopefully, this helps! Good luck and congrats on the new farm! :)

I guess I should revise...lol I haven't found a local breeder for Barnevelders, the kind that I would like to raise. I'm looking for some that come from one of the few Dutch lines imported into the US. Maybe somebody on this thread might know but, I haven't had any luck as of yet... :(

Last edited:
Also, local farmers markets will be opening in May, I believe, so you can go and speak with the folks that are selling fresh eggs and find out if they have any available for purchase.

lau.gif
I love that you mention that because my brother has been at the kootenai county market for many years selling jewelry. However his health has been declining for a while (unexplained epilepsy) and isn't too sure if the will be this year or not. I know lots of people have brought live chickens/rabbits to sell during market season for many years. People are always surprised that the market runs may-oct, most everyone I speak with thinks it ends in aug/sept when everyone goes back to school...

@pips&peeps I may message you when we finally buy the new house. Our house is officially on the market right now, and our realtor is looking into properties with our requirements while we're working on the loan. *crossing my fingers for a good and quick outcome*

8 week old Silver Gray Dorkings getting outside time now that is warm. After the sun sets, they spend the night in the house still.

@nanclapper this weekend if there is a night that it's above freezing, I might let them spend the night outside. What do you think? I am being extra cautious because there are only two of them, so they are not able to keep as warm together as a group could. Also, they are so healthy and I don't want i change that!

I'm so glad to see this thread becoming more active. I knew that there had to be more people in this area who are a little chicken crazy.

Last edited:

8 week old Silver Gray Dorkings getting outside time now that is warm. After the sun sets, they spend the night in the house still.

@nanclapper this weekend if there is a night that it's above freezing, I might let them spend the night outside. What do you think? I am being extra cautious because there are only two of them, so they are not able to keep as warm together as a group could. Also, they are so healthy and I don't want i change that!

I'm so glad to see this thread becoming more active. I knew that there had to be more people in this area who are a little chicken crazy.
Darina, I think you are wise to wait until the temps have come up at night. The girls are fully feathered and should be able to stay warm at night in their coop. Its still a decision you have to be comfortable with and you are doing a great job. I've had young Silkies outside since mid-Jan and they have all done well, although, they were in a group of 25.

Back
Top Bottom