North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Well im giving up on ducks! I have wanted some for so long. Finally got myself 3 females i kept out of the last batch. They harass my chickens so bad it drives me crazy. I really wanted them to live with the chickens. So everything is all opened up and connected. They go into seperate coops at night and first thing each morning they harass the chickens terrible. They settle down a bit mid morning and sleep in a shady spot or the pool most of the day and evening back at it again. I dont want to seperate the enclosure . They have a large space with plenty of shelter and areas to go away. But when the young pullets come out in the morning the ducks just chase and chase them. Snapping at them. Thankfully the chickens are alot faster so they havent caught one yet. But even the 1 year old hens stay far away from the ducks.
The ducks are only 12 weeks old. But pekins and quite large.
They have been together for quite some time and at first completly ignored the chickens. But they have outgrown the chickens by far at this point.
I think i need to stick with chickens!
I also have a mini rex bunny who has always lived free in my yard. The chickens have never bothered him but when the ducks come out they chase him away from everything. They seem to be quite the bullies!! Lol

Last edited:

I had hen sitting on this egg, it is due the 29th or the 30th. The hen broke the egg, the membrane was still in tact. I put a warm damp towel on it and put it in incubator. It is still making noise in egg. I will not help it. it is not ready.

Hi, what breed are the 4-5 drakes you need to rehome? what kind of puppy are you getting?
Sorry for the delayed response... I have 3 Khaki Campbell Drakes, and 1 Welsh Harelquin Drake. They're all 14 weeks and very sweet! They're starting to get really pretty, green heads and gorgeous wing feathers!

Thank you for asking about the puppy! I'm really excited for her to come. She's actually a Doberman Pincher. I've loved the breed for a long time and they're supposed to be extremely good at protecting fowl! I've been talking with the breeder and she's chosen a gentle puppy and has been working with her around fowl for me until pick up! (a great sign of a good breeder!)

Last edited:
Well im giving up on ducks! I have wanted some for so long. Finally got myself 3 females i kept out of the last batch. They harass my chickens so bad it drives me crazy. I really wanted them to live with the chickens. So everything is all opened up and connected. They go into seperate coops at night and first thing each morning they harass the chickens terrible. They settle down a bit mid morning and sleep in a shady spot or the pool most of the day and evening back at it again. I dont want to seperate the enclosure . They have a large space with plenty of shelter and areas to go away. But when the young pullets come out in the morning the ducks just chase and chase them. Snapping at them. Thankfully the chickens are alot faster so they havent caught one yet. But even the 1 year old hens stay far away from the ducks.
The ducks are only 12 weeks old. But pekins and quite large.
They have been together for quite some time and at first completly ignored the chickens. But they have outgrown the chickens by far at this point.
I think i need to stick with chickens!
I also have a mini rex bunny who has always lived free in my yard. The chickens have never bothered him but when the ducks come out they chase him away from everything. They seem to be quite the bullies!! Lol
My ducks and chickens free range together and dont bother each other. but, when i put food out for the ducks the chickens all come running and scare the ducks away. i feed the chickens first thing in the morning right out front of their coop and again in evening, and then during the day the chickens are always lurking around the duck house and duck yard and eating the duck food. so i had to change the way i feed my ducks. i feed them in their pen area first thing in morning and again at night, i have to keep the chickens out of the ducks pen area. the chickens and ducks do not fight or chase ea other, the chickens just bully the ducks when there is food around. My chickens act like they are starving all the time... and their croops are stuffed full... i dont get it?

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response... I have 3 Khaki Campbell Drakes, and 1 Welsh Harelquin Drake. They're all 14 weeks and very sweet! They're starting to get really pretty, green heads and gorgeous wing feathers!

Thank you for asking about the puppy! I'm really excited for her to come. She's actually a Doberman Pincher. I've loved the breed for a long time and they're supposed to be extremely good at protecting fowl! I've been talking with the breeder and she's chosen a gentle puppy and has been working with her around fowl for me until pick up! (a great sign of a good breeder!)
I have had dobermans in the past, i love them. they are amazing family dogs and very very smart. they are very trainable and want to please you. they are gentle, loving, loyal, protective and beautiful. i want one now!!. we have 1 australian shepherd and 1 german shorthaired pointer. our pointer had to receive lots of training to stop killing my chickens.. she doesnt hurt them any longer. i still keep her in check and watcher her, she gets excited when the chickens and ducks are running and flapping their wings, when they are excited.

I have had dobermans in the past, i love them. they are amazing family dogs and very very smart. they are very trainable and want to please you. they are gentle, loving, loyal, protective and beautiful. i want one now!!. we have 1 australian shepherd and 1 german shorthaired pointer. our pointer had to receive lots of training to stop killing my chickens.. she doesnt hurt them any longer. i still keep her in check and watcher her, she gets excited when the chickens and ducks are running and flapping their wings, when they are excited.

Thanks for the info! It's very nice to hear from someone who's had dobermans around chickens!
By the way, are you by any chance interested in any or all of the drakes? I don't mean to push, I'm just curious because you mentioned them previously. They are just for giveaway, not for lack of quality or health, just for lack of my space and females! ;-)

My ducks and chickens free range together and dont bother each other. but, when i put food out for the ducks the chickens all come running and scare the ducks away. i feed the chickens first thing in the morning right out front of their coop and again in evening, and then during the day the chickens are always lurking around the duck house and duck yard and eating the duck food. so i had to change the way i feed my ducks. i feed them in their pen area first thing in morning and again at night, i have to keep the chickens out of the ducks pen area. the chickens and ducks do not fight or chase ea other, the chickens just bully the ducks when there is food around. My chickens act like they are starving all the time... and their croops are stuffed full... i dont get it?
Huh weird! Well mine is the ducks doing the bullying. But the it never seems to be over any food they just dont want the chickens around them. I seperated the ducks again. And after 3 nights in a row of the chickens not going to the coop, they cooped up normally last night. I think it was all because of them being scared of the ducks. The ducks just all out chase and harass the pullets for no reason.
I found someone who wants the ducks tho.
Chickens it is for us!

Cyndi, thats the same way mine are. The chickens rule.
Linda

At this point it seems to be one coop, which is the most important! My brooder and grow out coop. These are the birds that I have bought or hatched, which are supposed to be the start of my rare bird breeding programs. The original birds I bought last spring, my layer flock, that are housed separately do not seem to be affected at this point. I have divided some of the birds into breeding pens now, but I am still treating them also. One of the roosters was in my bachelor pen, so they are all gonna get treated too. I am not set up at this time with a hospital pen of any sort.

Also any of you that I have sold or given birds to. How is the health of those birds? I need to know if I am passing anything on. I will feel just horrible if I have and apologize for my ignorance to these matters. At this time I have no intention of adding new birds or selling any, until I find out what is going on.
My Seramas I got from you are doing wonderful! So sorry you are going through all of this, it is so frustrating. Also my Serama, Prince charming, is now a daddy!

Back
Top Bottom