North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Here are 2 of them. They all look fairly similar. Two of them are quite developed and the third is getting there.

Curious as to what you all do if you can't get rid of extra roos or drakes. Do any of you butcher? If so, is any one willing to explain how? It's not high on my want list, but I have birds that can't stay as I have no room.

Curious as to what you all do if you can't get rid of extra roos or drakes. Do any of you butcher? If so, is any one willing to explain how? It's not high on my want list, but I have birds that can't stay as I have no room.

Yes, we butcher. I've already butchered about 20 birds this year. The actual dispatching varies depending on how you were taught. I prefer just an axe/knife and a chopping block. For the bigger birds (geese and turkeys), I do have a cone that I use to keep them contained.

Basically, once dispatched, you can do a few different things. One choice is to dry pluck. This takes a fair amount of time and effort, to be sure. Another specifically for ducks is to dip them in hot wax. Let it cool a bit and peel off feathers and wax in one go. This can take multiple dips. The last choice is to do a scald in hot water (not boiling). The temperature, length of time dipped and how much swishing are definitely debatable, as is the choice of additions (or not) to the water in order to dip ducks as you want to break up the oil in their feathers in order for the water to penetrate. Once the bird is scalded, it must be plucked.

After plucking, the bird is gutted, feet cut off, etc. Basically, it's made ready to eat. For the first time, I'd suggest just doing 1 chicken and taking your time on it. And definitely check out some YouTube videos beforehand.

Yes, we butcher. I've already butchered about 20 birds this year. The actual dispatching varies depending on how you were taught. I prefer just an axe/knife and a chopping block. For the bigger birds (geese and turkeys), I do have a cone that I use to keep them contained.

Basically, once dispatched, you can do a few different things. One choice is to dry pluck. This takes a fair amount of time and effort, to be sure. Another specifically for ducks is to dip them in hot wax. Let it cool a bit and peel off feathers and wax in one go. This can take multiple dips. The last choice is to do a scald in hot water (not boiling). The temperature, length of time dipped and how much swishing are definitely debatable, as is the choice of additions (or not) to the water in order to dip ducks as you want to break up the oil in their feathers in order for the water to penetrate. Once the bird is scalded, it must be plucked.

After plucking, the bird is gutted, feet cut off, etc. Basically, it's made ready to eat. For the first time, I'd suggest just doing 1 chicken and taking your time on it. And definitely check out some YouTube videos beforehand.
We did a lot of butchering when I was a kid. My Poppy used an axe and a chopping block. Now I have noticed people use cones which would definitely help.Otherwise you must hold them and also wield the ax. We did the hot water way of removing the feathers. The water needs to be just right or else you will leave some feather tips in the bird. Also, thirty years later I still remember the smell of the feathers etc. Butchering an animal (just like culling) is not for everyone. It's hard.

Here are 2 of them. They all look fairly similar. Two of them are quite developed and the third is getting there.

I love them all. the pics are a little difficult to see them well. but i like the one on the right, i like his crest. Are they all from the same hen & rooster? Do you know what gene colors they have? just curious what colors i would get from your rooster and my WCBP hens? @Saris would you know what colors i could get from her rooster and my hens???
thanks for your help w/this Q

ETA: I dont know what town you live, so i dont know how far of a drive you are for me?
I may be available to take a drive next week??

Last edited:
I love them all. the pics are a little difficult to see them well. but i like the one on the right, i like his crest. Are they all from the same hen & rooster? Do you know what gene colors they have? just curious what colors i would get from your rooster and my WCBP hens? @Saris would you know what colors i could get from her rooster and my hens???

ETA: I dont know what town you live, so i dont know how far of a drive you are for me?

Blues bred to blues will produce black, blue or splash. I don't remember the percentages off the top of my head, though. They are hatchery birds, so likely not from the same hen, but could be half-siblings easily. I will grab some more pictures here in just a bit. I'm in Hayden, Idaho. It's just north of Coeur d'Alene.

Back
Top Bottom