North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Blues bred to blues will produce black, blue or splash. I don't remember the percentages off the top of my head, though. They are hatchery birds, so likely not from the same hen, but could be half-siblings easily. I will grab some more pictures here in just a bit. I'm in Hayden, Idaho. It's just north of Coeur d'Alene.

Oh, darn i was in Coeur d' Alene yesterday. Im sure i will be up there again soon.
pic #2 looks like the biggest polish. probably just the angle of t pic, huh?
they are all handsome. what r their personalities like? i dont want a fighter. i would rather have the one that walks away from trouble, kwim?
how old did you say they are? what does this week look like for you? let me know if you want me to come to your home?

Oh, darn i was in Coeur d' Alene yesterday. Im sure i will be up there again soon.
pic #2 looks like the biggest polish. probably just the angle of t pic, huh?
they are all handsome. what r their personalities like? i dont want a fighter. i would rather have the one that walks away from trouble, kwim?
how old did you say they are? what does this week look like for you? let me know if you want me to come to your home?

Isn't that how it always works, just a little too late to make things easy. He just looks big, because his crop is so full. They're pigs at the feeder. I can take a gander today and see which one is biggest if that's what you're looking for. They're all fairly relaxed. The first and the third were handled extensively at their other home, before it was realized that they were roosters and thusly returned. So, they're fairly tame and not as skittish as the middle one. They are about 18 weeks. The first and the third were already crowing when I got them back, but have since stopped. I think my flock boss rooster scares them lol I'm pretty open this week, but afternoon is easiest for me to meet with someone. I live down a hard to navigate private road, so it would be easier to meet with you at Super 1.

Curious as to what you all do if you can't get rid of extra roos or drakes. Do any of you butcher? If so, is any one willing to explain how? It's not high on my want list, but I have birds that can't stay as I have no room.

If I can't give them away, I butcher my extra roosters. I have done 5 this year so far. I have about 6 I am doing in a few days. I use a cone and cut the head clean off. Then scald and pluck, and have skinned too. Two this time will be roasted so I will not skin them. I have tried to skin without plucking and it didn't work out too well for me, but can be done. I just bought a plucker that fits on a drill. We will see how it works.

If I can't give them away, I butcher my extra roosters. I have done 5 this year so far. I have about 6 I am doing in a few days. I use a cone and cut the head clean off. Then scald and pluck, and have skinned too. Two this time will be roasted so I will not skin them. I have tried to skin without plucking and it didn't work out too well for me, but can be done. I just bought a plucker that fits on a drill. We will see how it works.

We did a lot of butchering when I was a kid.  My Poppy used an axe and a chopping block. Now I have noticed people use cones which would definitely help.Otherwise you must hold them and also wield the ax.  We did the hot water way of removing the feathers.  The water needs to be just right or else you will leave some feather tips in the bird.  Also, thirty years later I still remember the smell of the feathers etc. Butchering an animal (just like culling) is not for everyone.  It's hard. 

Yes, we butcher. I've already butchered about 20 birds this year. The actual dispatching varies depending on how you were taught. I prefer just an axe/knife and a chopping block. For the bigger birds (geese and turkeys), I do have a cone that I use to keep them contained.

Basically, once dispatched, you can do a few different things. One choice is to dry pluck. This takes a fair amount of time and effort, to be sure. Another specifically for ducks is to dip them in hot wax. Let it cool a bit and peel off feathers and wax in one go. This can take multiple dips. The last choice is to do a scald in hot water (not boiling). The temperature, length of time dipped and how much swishing are definitely debatable, as is the choice of additions (or not) to the water in order to dip ducks as you want to break up the oil in their feathers in order for the water to penetrate. Once the bird is scalded, it must be plucked.

After plucking, the bird is gutted, feet cut off, etc. Basically, it's made ready to eat. For the first time, I'd suggest just doing 1 chicken and taking your time on it. And definitely check out some YouTube videos beforehand.

Thank you all for the advice! I'll keep checking into it, maybe find a good book with specific details.

Hi everyone. So out of 11 chicks this year, I think we got a roo on our hands. My husband was out changing their bedding and took this picture (this is one of the boxes we put them in for ease of cleaning the brooder). I'm relatively positive this guy is a roo. The other 3 same age, same breed do not have the comb. 1 month old brown speckled sussex. Thoughts? We do not want any roosters.

Isn't that how it always works, just a little too late to make things easy. He just looks big, because his crop is so full. They're pigs at the feeder. I can take a gander today and see which one is biggest if that's what you're looking for. They're all fairly relaxed. The first and the third were handled extensively at their other home, before it was realized that they were roosters and thusly returned. So, they're fairly tame and not as skittish as the middle one. They are about 18 weeks. The first and the third were already crowing when I got them back, but have since stopped. I think my flock boss rooster scares them lol I'm pretty open this week, but afternoon is easiest for me to meet with someone. I live down a hard to navigate private road, so it would be easier to meet with you at Super 1.
Sounds good to me, to meet at Super 1.
I may go to CDA in a few days. I just dont want a bullie rooster, eventually i will have him just w/my WCBP hens and i would like to keep him w/my other polish cockrel, if they dont kill ea other?
if you find that one day is better for you this week, let me know, otherwise, i will get back w/you in a couple of days, is this ok?
thanks

x2 but, i find that my rooster are so tough. we dont like to eat them cuz of this. any recipes that help w/tough meat? i have even put them in the pressure cooker, that just shredded the meat but it was still tough.

Sounds good to me, to meet at Super 1.
I may go to CDA in a few days. I just dont want a bullie rooster, eventually i will have him just w/my WCBP hens and i would like to keep him w/my other polish cockrel, if they dont kill ea other?
if you find that one day is better for you this week, let me know, otherwise, i will get back w/you in a couple of days, is this ok?
thanks

That works for me. Just let me know what day and time. As long as there is a bit of room in the pen, they should be fine together. I have a bunch of roosters in my pens (hence why they are being given away lol) and I see minimal fighting, usually with the silkie roosters ganging up on other birds.

Back
Top Bottom