Northern CA meat swap?

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
I'm floating this tentatively as I'm still making sure it wouldn't invite any heat legally, but would anyone who raises their poultry partially for meat be interested in setting up an informal swap of some sorts just for variety?

I can produce quail out my ears but unfortunately that's all I'm set up for. They're tasty little buggers but one does start to want some variance. I would personally be eager to trade for chicken, duck, turkey, pheasant, etc (obviously at a ratio depending on weight).

It could be expanded beyond strictly bird carcasses to include all meat, eggs, garden veggies, cheese, soap, etc.

I swoop between Tahoe basin area, Sacramento, and the SF bay area at least once a month. I could meet anyone within about 50 miles of that route and potentially act as a go-between if multiple people want to do a swapping chain.

Don't forget their are lots of people that raise rabbit, cow, hog, emu, goat, sheep, and so on. All are edible and some might even produce milk, butter, or the like for you to try if interested. :)

As long as you stay below a certain number... something like 1000 birds, it WAS legal last time I checked to sell poultry without a processing or other permit in California. To be clear, it was due to falling under an exemption... But confirming for yourself is always recommended. These links might help some...

https://articles.extension.org/pages/33350/poultry-processing-regulations-and-exemptions

https://ucanr.edu/sites/CESonomaAgOmbuds/Poultry_Processing_Exemptions/

https://ucanr.edu/sites/CESonomaAgOmbuds/Selling_Meat/

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/MPES/

Seems like quail eggs might also be a hot item to trade since they are hypoallergenic. :pop

I'm at the far north of Ca, near the Oregon border on the coast... so not quite a feasible meat up (intentional misspelling :p). But wish you luck on your worthy adventure! I just love to see the networking and sharing of our individual products. :highfive:

California has adopted both the 1000 & 20,000 bird exemption. There are labeling requirements for processed birds and you can only claim one exemption per calendar year. You must label consistent with the exemption you choose. You can read about the rules at the Farm to consumer legal defense fund.

I find your idea quite interesting...

California has adopted both the 1000 & 20,000 bird exemption. There are labeling requirements for processed birds and you can only claim one exemption per calendar year. You must label consistent with the exemption you choose. You can read about the rules at the Farm to consumer legal defense fund.

I book marked that link for future reference... looked easy to use. :highfive:

Yeah, it looks like most of us fall into the <1000, family-slaughtered-only bird exemption, which allows sales at farmer's markets and road stands too. We should get some dope custom labels made and be good to go (with potentially extra steps depending on which counties we're dealing with or traveling through).

Beware that local laws may reign.
Probably better to look locally for other places growing meat for trades.

There aren't in my county, basically, so I have that issue either way :D The closest agricultural region to me is actually out of state.

Need to get an idea of potential interest areas before delving too far into county code.

This thread thoroughly died (and I should probably crosspost in the area-specific thread), but I haven't stopped contacting people through other means and have found someone very local to trade live quail for meat rabbits, so it's happening, slowly. :bun

Next goal: ducks. :weeI love me some ducks.

Back
Top Bottom