Northern California Meet Up/Chicken Swap - Sunday October 10th!

Jeremy, While you may NOW like the BBS orps better, I recall a time only a few months ago where you were clamoring for the lavenders to breed. I like both breeds and in fact I like Orpingtons in just about every color they come in
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, I've always loved Blue Orps, I tried hatching so many eggs this year but I had terrible luck in doing so. I just couldn't get any babies to make it through lockdown. So when Joy offered me BBS chicks I jumped on the idea because I knew there would be no, or very little risk involved in shipping. I could finally have some little blues!
smile.png

I think I jumped on the Lavender bandwagon for awhile because they seemed so elusive, so special. After having the couple birds I had it made me realize just that, that I should refocus my attention on the heritage birds (my Delawares) that I truly love and breed those towards the SOP. Not try and concentrate my efforts on a project bird.

Last edited:
Quote:
OK I got it to work, but I had to sign in to FB, THEN I had to Like Meyer Hatchery, THEN the Like button appeared under your coop picture. If anybody else has problems, try this approach. Hope you win!!

Quote:
OK I got it to work, but I had to sign in to FB, THEN I had to Like Meyer Hatchery, THEN the Like button appeared under your coop picture. If anybody else has problems, try this approach. Hope you win!!

you are SO nice to keep trying, yes facebook liking seems to be a bit of a challenge, thanks so much

Here are some more photos from the meet (taken with my cell phone camera):

Front Entrance banner:
41679_frontentrancebanner.jpg

Decorated cake:
41679_byccake.jpg

Food spread, where I seemed to hang out a lot.... with a fork for easy grazing, after most folks had filled their plates once or twice....
41679_bycfoodspread.jpg

Glorious back deck!
41679_cohenbackdeck.jpg

View from the deck down to the coop.
41679_viewtocoop.jpg

Metal chicken sculptures at the bottom of the staircase down to the coop.
41679_metalchickens.jpg

The Omelet Ranch
41679_omeletranchcoop.jpg

Seasonal Treat
41679_pumkintreat.jpg

Just one view into the coop.
41679_viewintocoop.jpg

MY favorite chicken of the flock!
41679_abbyss-best.jpg

Such pretty plumage!
41679_abbyss.jpg

Just love this banner on the back deck
41679_deckbanner.jpg

Thank you again, Cheryl, for opening your home to all of us!

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
bow.gif

Cheryl, let me add our thanks for a really terrific meet-up at your place! We had a wonderful time, meeting lots of chicken people, putting voices and faces to all the names. And the food was absolutely superb, thank you to all!

Thank you too for the most terrific door prize of the Buff, White, Black & LAVENDER Orpington eggs from hinkjc!! I love orps and am really excited.
We might have to build another coop though, we will about double our flock! We also got a bag of Layena (I'll save the empty bag for you, Cheryl).

I also got one of your Watercolor Buff cutting boards. Your merchandise is really creative and whimsical. Great stuff!

Thanks again for a wonderful afternoon!
clap.gif
clap.gif
woot.gif

Val & Paul

Just got back from the APPLE store, told him how fresh my phone smelled after going through the wash, gave him some eggs, we talked chickens, he had some growing up in Lafayette! and he replaced my phone for free!

Hi All,

I'd also like to chime in and thank Cheryl for being such a fabulous and generous hostess. I didn't get to meet everyone, but those of you who I chatted with were super nice. I'm glad you enjoyed my sweets. And as promised, here are the recipes for the Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes, and the Gingersnaps.

Cupcakes - http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/car-bomb-cupcakes/

and

Gingersnaps

8 oz. unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

2 small eggs or 1 1/2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup molasses

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of bowl with spatula. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, mixing well after each addition. Scrape bowl. Add molasses and mix well. Scrape bowl. Sift the dry ingredients and add. Mix just until incorporated. You'll probably want to scrape bowl again.

Line a 9" loaf pan (or similar) with plastic wrap with a lot of overhang on all sides. Press dough into the pan, trying to pack it as tightly and evenly as possible with your hands. Wetting your hands with cold water will help stave off the stickiness while you're patting the dough in. Smooth the surface as much as possible. Fold the overhanging plastic wrap over the dough to cover. Place in freezer until very firm. I usually make the dough the day before I have to bake it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the loaf pan from the freezer and pop out the brick of dough. Unwrap dough and position on a cutting board. With a large serrated knife, cut dough into thin slices, about 1/8" - 1/4" and place on baking sheet. Leave about an inch in between cookies. Work fast because the dough will soften. Wrap the remaining dough in plastic and place in freezer to firm up for another batch, or for a later use. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate pans, then bake for another 5-6 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Darker means more flavor!

Let me know if you guys try it, or if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom