Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
So I'm looking for some info on this breed. It was suggested to me by aurissavannahs.

I'm looking for temperment info hardiness and egg production numbers.

For example I have heard these are quiet birds but I have also heard they are very flighty and hard to handle? Are these things true?

Also how cold-hardy are they? we often get 2 feet of snow and down to 10 degrees in the dead of winter... Sometimes (rarely) lower. My understanding is the big combs often get frostbitten? (A little odd for a norweigian breed IMO.) Is this true?

And lastly I am having trouble nailing down any real egg production numbers. Could I expect 200-300 eggs per year from these guys? I'm hoping for a bird to produce somewhere around 20 eggs a month... Which is 240/yr.
Glad to see you found this forum.

It did get down to 10 degrees here last year for a few days and I had no frostbite. I use open air housing so no moisture buildup which think makes a difference. I am sure others with harder winters can give you more information.

I don't know how many eggs they lay a year but they good layers.

aurisavannahs. I se you have savannah's do you like them? I have a Bengal ( love him) he is a 12 year old Seal Lynx Point and still active and feisty as ever.
Yes, I have Savannhs and I love them, but I can't brood baby chicks in the house because the Savannahs are supreme hunters and very smart and good at opening things so the chicks would not be safe.

We are having a heat wave. yesterday it was 100 degrees and dead still at our house and I think we were one of the coolest places in the southeast. My other chickens were panting and holding their wings out but the Jaers were not showing any signs of heat stress. I did put ice in everybodies water and of course they were all in the shade. I even got two eggs from my four laying hens. How do your Jaers do inn the heat compared to other breeds?

Last edited:
I do not have any as of now
roll.png

mostly do to not enough space.
I am doing icelandic's and Penedesenca. I do like the Jarehorn's toughness though..
Once I can get a few more large runs built maybe then ...
smile.png

My Jaers are definately more cautious and wary and the roos are the first to notice me when I go outside (greeting me with a cacophany of crowing). I think that watchfulness and caution is what makes them better foragers. They certainly aren't flighty or unfriendly.

I got 8 eggs , 2 made it to day 21 its day 22 and one hatched early this morning. So I was expecting the little fuzz ball to be more tan or brown :hmm to me this dosnt even look like the pictures of this breed, so I am at a loss for what sex its sapose to be . Any ideas ?
the only other breeds in the incubator hatching were serama and d ullces and its not those so this has to be the chick from the NJ egg

I had no more pips except one thats stuck becuase of blood and I had to add water anyways so I candled the other three eggs 1 NJ and 2 serama eggs adn they were all dead looks like around the time I last candled them day 18 or so =( . LOL it figures I would get a roo from the one surviveing egg now I have to figure out what to do with him. Anyone want a NJ roo baby ?

Back
Top Bottom