Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
You certainly have a plate full right now. Hope you are well soon! I wish I lived in Michigan, I'd jump on the Jaerhons. Lucky girl with Rees Legbars.
I do enjoy my Jaerhons, but I'm pretty sure I need to cut back. I am definitely a luck guy with my Rees Legbars. They seem to have large crests and better cream coloring than my other Legbars.

I do enjoy my Jaerhons, but I'm pretty sure I need to cut back. I am definitely a luck guy with my Rees Legbars. They seem to have large crests and better cream coloring than my other Legbars. 

If you ship, I might know someone who may be interested in your trio.

Jaerhons are my favorite breed, by far. Here's a photo of one of my roos:

I have some babies hatched from eggs I got from Houndit. How do I tell which are boys and which are girls? Thanks.
If you have the dark variety of Jaerhon then the pullets will be dark brown and they may have a small yellow dot on the head or the head will be solid. The cockerals will be much lighter and have a large diffuse yellow spot on the head. The light variety chicks have chipmunk strips on the back. The stripes on the pullets are well defined and the stripes on the cockerals are blurry. The cockerals have the big head spots. You should be able to tell the difference easily. Hope you enjoy you Jaerhons . They are my favorites!

Last edited:
What is the scoop on ideal hatcheries norwegian jaerhon line?

Are they light or dark?

Are they good to start out with?

Last edited:
I have 6 hen and 2 roos from Ideal Poultry. From what I understand the Jaer is a little all over the board in its infancy in the US so what ever you end up with they will need some work. Saying that, my jaers seem to be both of the dark and light varieties. There is a distinct difference in the shade of the hens and also the roos are different, one being mostly white in the saddle and the other having more colorful saddle feathers. I will stat by breeding then accordingly this spring. Very few choices on where to get the Jaerhons. Im happy with my Ideal Jaers. I will get pictures when the weather warms.

Last edited:
I have 6 hen and 2 roos from Ideal Poultry. From what I understand the Jaer is a little all over the board in its infancy in the US so what ever you end up with they will need some work. Saying that, my jaers seem to be both of the dark and light varieties. There is a distinct difference in the shade of the hens and also the roos are different, one being mostly white in the saddle and the other having more colorful saddle feathers.  I will stat by breeding then accordingly this spring. Very few choices on where to get the Jaerhons. Im happy with my Ideal Jaers. I will get pictures when the weather warms.
Thanks. :)

Yes, the original import of the Jærhøns, was by a Dr Bjorn Netland in WA state... about 18+ years ago.
I personally knew him. All Jærhøns are from the eggs he brought in.

I lost touch with him a few years ago, so I am not sure he is alive any more.
He was very careful with his breeding program. At first only allowing certain people to have them, so they could build the lines up.

Is nice to see all his work paying off, and there are Jærhøns in the US.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom