Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I will be getting my first Jaerhon this week from Ideal. They do sell them sexed. I am also of Norwegian heritage which started my interest. Can't wait to have this breed.

Baby crowers, lol! That sounds about right. Pretty squeaky? One of mine did that early on and I looked around for a mouse. Not kidding!
lol.png

My girls started laying around 7 months, BUT they hatched late last summer and were growing during winter. I expect the ones I hatch this month to be laying by fall.

At first I thought maybe a wild bird because I did't recognize it as a crow, but just an unusual birdy sound. When it kept repeating, I had to watch all the youngsters until I saw which one was doing it. Then today I saw the other one do it, too. They sound like squeeky gates. Happy little squeeky crowers!
tongue.png
Chickens are hilarious. I have a young bantam roo that started off sounding like coughing, a young showgirl roo that currently sounds like he's screaming (thankfully he's very quiet), and now two squeeky gates. lol!

I bought a magazine called Chicken Breeds by the editors of Hobby Farms Magazine. The Norwegian Jaerhon is described as a good layer of large, white eggs. It has a small comb and is a good flyer. I ordered 10 pullets from Ideal Poultry in Texas--they arrive today or tomorrow. I will be free ranging these birds in northern Vermont and expect them to do well with the climate, given their heritage. I hope their flying ability will give them an edge over any daytime predators. Hope this helps.

Dave

Love this breed! But unfortunately I don't have the room to keep them. I have discovered that in my local area people don't preffer white eggs as the majority. I will be selling my entire flock in a couple weeks. These are the best of the best that I kept. I started out with about 30 birds. I now have 10 hens and 3 roosters dark variety. Disease and pest free, very healthy, laying a TON of eggs. They will be one year old in august. 350.00 inbox me if you want them.

Back
Top Bottom