Not an Easter Egger

IckenchayOverlay

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
I picked up a free “Americana rooster” yesterday, and I’d like feedback on the breed/gender.

I’ve kept chickens many times but never paid much attention to breed. The person who gave me this bird said both the parents were Easter eggers. But after looking at pictures of Auracanas, Ameraucanas, and Americanas, I think this is none of the above.

I’m basing this on the presence of waddles and tail; lack of beard, muff, or ear tufts; and bright yellow legs.

What it looks most like to me is a flower/flowery, but in that case it would be female. It’s a young bird that has not crowed for me yet. It has an affectionate disposition.

I’m also curious about the crookedness of the crown and the odd tuft of feathers on its head. Is that normal for whatever kind of bird this is?

Thanks in advance for any input!
ED9AC0E7-0832-46A6-8580-2052CDE4CF44.jpeg
539BD92D-3528-4F78-9E53-0BE73D4A80DF.jpeg

He’s adorable! And he looks like a Cream Legbar - the barring with cream and white is a Legbar characteristic. That small crest is a dead giveaway, too. If he’s a pure bred Legbar, then he’s got the blue egg genes in him (so not EE, but a blue egg-laying variety). If you have any Marans hens and put him with them and hatch the eggs, you’d get some Olive Egger pullets :).

:frow Welcome to BYC, by the way! You might introduce yourself over in the New Members thread for a proper welcome. Glad you joined!

He looks like an Easter Egger (which is an Americana) with CLB background. EEs aren't a breed and therefore have no standard.
Ummm.... "Ameracana" (note spelling) is a corruption of the spelling of the breed Ameraucana, which is a true breed while "Ameracana" is not. Any spelling other than Ameraucana is not the true breed. Americana, Ameracauna, etc, all are ways for uninformed or unscrupulous breeders to sell mutt breeds, or EEs to people while trying to convince them they are actually selling them Ameraucanas. EEs are very nice birds and I love mine, but I know what they are not.

I picked up a free “Americana rooster” yesterday, and I’d like feedback on the breed/gender.

I’ve kept chickens many times but never paid much attention to breed. The person who gave me this bird said both the parents were Easter eggers. But after looking at pictures of Auracanas, Ameraucanas, and Americanas, I think this is none of the above.

I’m basing this on the presence of waddles and tail; lack of beard, muff, or ear tufts; and bright yellow legs.

What it looks most like to me is a flower/flowery, but in that case it would be female. It’s a young bird that has not crowed for me yet. It has an affectionate disposition.

I’m also curious about the crookedness of the crown and the odd tuft of feathers on its head. Is that normal for whatever kind of bird this is?

Thanks in advance for any input!View attachment 2710856View attachment 2710857
Definitely a mix, probably some part of cream legbar?

Back
Top Bottom