Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I am not sure what's happening in my flock - wry neck? marecks? Something else? I purchased 18 hatching eggs and added one of my own. I had 13 hatch. 2 of the chicks from the eggs I purchased died in the first 3 days having symptoms similar to wry neck. The chick from my eggs developed the symptoms, but somehow survived. They had tremors ... And their necks started twisting sideways and backwards. The two that died could not eat or drink. They also very rapidly lost use of the legs looking almost paralyzed on one side. It progressed rapidly. I braced myself for the worst, but everyone else survived. About 2 weeks ago The chick from my eggs started with what I thought was rye neck symptoms again, but then I realized he was only turning his head to see. I believe he is blind in one eye but healthy, growing at equal if not faster rate than the others. Now the newest problem. My 2 year old hen that hatched my own egg, is now acting as if she may be going blind as well. She is totally unrelated to all the others. The chick with the eye problem is now 10 weeks old. What is going on? It's been 10 weeks and just now the older hen is developing this problem. I've been searching for any disease/sickness but nothing seems to match quite right. Any guesses or suggestions are appreciated. I've been giving them vitamin supplements about 3-4 times a week. They've been wormed, treated for cocci, and given a 7 day course of duramycin. No improvement in either. All the other chicks and 2 other broody hens are great showing no problems. I have no idea what to try next. There are no avian vets within 2 hours of here ... Possibly further but I gave up and stopped looking as the expense coupled with the travel and time off work to get there is not doable. Any help is greatly appreciated. Could this be mareks? And does that mean that my 38 other birds are immune as they've all shared housing/grass, etc. my chickens range in age from 8 weeks to almost 3 years old. Should I pull out my two with eye trouble? I'm thinking they've all already been exposed. So overwhelmed by all I've read about Mareks. I feel like the worlds worst chicken mommy. Also sorry if I've posted this wrong.

If they are not drinking their water can I syringe feed them the vitamins and water? Also do you think it would be ok if I did the vitamin water for my whole flock(3 healthy and 2 sick)?
Thanks for all the help!

Yes you can do the Super B in their water, but for now, you really do need to build up the 2 sick first. I have finger dripped, syringed the vitamin water, whatever it took to get it into them. Casportpony can teach you how to tube it, I haven't done that yet. I've used a syringe and put that down the right side of the throat and gently given it that way, but not full tubing.

Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I am not sure what's happening in my flock - wry neck? marecks? Something else? I purchased 18 hatching eggs and added one of my own. I had 13 hatch. 2 of the chicks from the eggs I purchased died in the first 3 days having symptoms similar to wry neck. The chick from my eggs developed the symptoms, but somehow survived. They had tremors ... And their necks started twisting sideways and backwards. The two that died could not eat or drink. They also very rapidly lost use of the legs looking almost paralyzed on one side. It progressed rapidly. I braced myself for the worst, but everyone else survived. About 2 weeks ago The chick from my eggs started with what I thought was rye neck symptoms again, but then I realized he was only turning his head to see. I believe he is blind in one eye but healthy, growing at equal if not faster rate than the others. Now the newest problem. My 2 year old hen that hatched my own egg, is now acting as if she may be going blind as well. She is totally unrelated to all the others. The chick with the eye problem is now 10 weeks old. What is going on? It's been 10 weeks and just now the older hen is developing this problem. I've been searching for any disease/sickness but nothing seems to match quite right. Any guesses or suggestions are appreciated. I've been giving them vitamin supplements about 3-4 times a week. They've been wormed, treated for cocci, and given a 7 day course of duramycin. No improvement in either. All the other chicks and 2 other broody hens are great showing no problems. I have no idea what to try next. There are no avian vets within 2 hours of here ... Possibly further but I gave up and stopped looking as the expense coupled with the travel and time off work to get there is not doable. Any help is greatly appreciated. Could this be mareks? And does that mean that my 38 other birds are immune as they've all shared housing/grass, etc. my chickens range in age from 8 weeks to almost 3 years old. Should I pull out my two with eye trouble? I'm thinking they've all already been exposed. So overwhelmed by all I've read about Mareks. I feel like the worlds worst chicken mommy. Also sorry if I've posted this wrong.

Can you do pictures and post them?

Marek's has all the symptoms of quite a few diseases. It makes it hard to diagnose. With the ones you hatched, the earliest symptoms would be at about 6 weeks, not common to show symptoms younger, but it does happen.

If they are dying from Marek's, it's probably in your flock and your newbies caught it from them. In the newbies, I would have expected to see at least some with paralysis. I really don't have any experience with wry neck.

If you hatch more eggs, vaccinate them day one and quarantine them for at least 2 weeks, the longer the better.

Chicks dying from something else and from 2 different sources may be something to do with the heat and humidity from incubating, or maybe even a feed that's been contaminated, or lacking vitamins. Try a multi B vitamin. The regulars on this thread will also chime in with help.

I have a set of eggs in the incubator, first batch since I had a gal die of Marek's this past spring. I plan on vaccinating these chicks because they will most undoubtedly be exposed.

I've found different types of vaccines though, and I'm confused as to which ones would be the best for my flock since they will be exposed at some point.

Here are some links I've found, and I'm open to other suggestions. Chicks are due to hatch in two weeks, so I need to get it set up before hatch day. Thanks!!

Link one: says it's FR-6?
http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=574

Link two: serotyp 3, live virus?
http://www.randallburkey.com/Mareks-Disease-Vaccine-1000-Dose/productinfo/25020/#.UkF-e78r2CQ

I have a set of eggs in the incubator, first batch since I had a gal die of Marek's this past spring. I plan on vaccinating these chicks because they will most undoubtedly be exposed.

I've found different types of vaccines though, and I'm confused as to which ones would be the best for my flock since they will be exposed at some point.

Here are some links I've found, and I'm open to other suggestions. Chicks are due to hatch in two weeks, so I need to get it set up before hatch day. Thanks!!

Link one: says it's FR-6?
http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=574

Link two: serotyp 3, live virus?
http://www.randallburkey.com/Mareks-Disease-Vaccine-1000-Dose/productinfo/25020/#.UkF-e78r2CQ

Any of the vaccines we can get for home use is made from live Turkey Marek's virus. Find the cheapest and closest place and order. Don't forget the needles.

First off, was this a new incubator? If not, how was it cleaned from the last hatch, stored and cleaned before this one? For the chicks in the 'bator, I think we can rule out a feed issue unless you and the person you bought the eggs from are feeding the exact same kind, batch, etc.. This sounds enviromental to me. Since Marek's doesn't come through the eggs, it would have had to be introduced and then time to go by for it to build up enough to show signs of being there. I'd really like to see a firm time frame here in order to help you. When symptoms started, what they were, where were these chicks kept? Your older birds...how do the eyes look? What are all of the symptoms from them? And again, a time frame please. Pictures would really be great if you can do them. I can't see from here, lol.

Some of the symptoms reminded me of something and I just went and checked.

Newcastle Disease
Synonyms: pneumoencephalitis
The highly contagious and lethal form of Newcastle disease is known as viscerotropic (attacks
the internal organs) velogenic Newcastle disease, VVND, exotic Newcastle disease,
or Asiatic Newcastle disease. VVND is not present in the United States poultry industry at
this time.
Species affected: Newcastle disease affects all birds of all ages. Humans and other mammals are also
susceptible to Newcastle. In such species, it causes a mild conjunctivitis.
Clinical signs: There are three forms of Newcastle disease -- mildly pathogenic (lentogenic), moderately
pathogenic (mesogenic) and highly pathogenic (velogenic). Newcastle disease is characterized
by a sudden onset of clinical signs which include hoarse chirps (in chicks), watery
discharge from nostrils, labored breathing (gasping), facial swelling, paralysis, trembling,
and twisting of the neck (sign of central nervous system involvement). Mortality ranges
from 10 to 80 percent depending on the pathogenicity. In adult laying birds, symptoms
can include decreased feed and water consumption and a dramatic drop in egg production
(see Table 1).
Transmission: The Newcastle virus can be transmitted short distances by the airborne route or
introduced on contaminated shoes, caretakers, feed deliverers, visitors, tires, dirty equipment,
feed sacks, crates, and wild birds. Newcastle virus can be passed in the egg, but
Newcastle-infected embryos die before hatching. In live birds, the virus is shed in body
fluids, secretions, excreta, and breath.
Treatment: There is no specific treatment for Newcastle disease. Antibiotics can be given for 3-5 days
to prevent secondary bacterial infections (particularly E. coli ). For chicks, increasing the
brooding temperature 5°F may help reduce losses.

Now there isn't supposed to be any Exotic Newcastle in the US at present time. But Newcastle comes in many flavors and the link below has some information on where and how it can present.
http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/newcastle_disease.pdf

The symptoms fit, but again, without a clear understanding of time and symptoms, it's awful hard to come up with something that makes sense.

Meyer Hatchery uses only the HVT vaccine, FC-126 to be exact. Ugh. I still have seven chicks shipping on the 15th of October. I have two surviving pullets that seem healthy and one roo that is doing ok other than not as active as he should be.

The pullets were all vaccinated as chicks, small hatchery so I am sure using the HVT. Either I have a form of Marek's that is resistant to the vaccine (worst case) or the breeder messed up the vaccine (best case). The breeder claims that he has not lost any birds. But, my first loss came as a runt so might have been exposed prior. She died two weeks after I got them. First flock.

Would adding a turkey to my flock help? I could try to find a chick locally. Or I could try to find a grown one and add to my existing flock.

What to do, what to do...

E

Thh
Marek's has all the symptoms of quite a few diseases.  It makes it hard to diagnose.  With the ones you hatched, the earliest symptoms would be at about 6 weeks, not common to show symptoms younger, but it does happen.

If they are dying from Marek's, it's probably in your flock and your newbies caught it from them.  In the newbies, I would have expected to see at least some with paralysis.  I really don't have any experience with wry neck.

If you hatch more eggs, vaccinate them day one and quarantine them for at least 2 weeks, the longer the better.

Chicks dying from something else and from 2 different sources may be something to do with the heat and humidity from incubating, or maybe even a feed that's been contaminated, or lacking vitamins.  Try a multi B vitamin.  The regulars on this thread will also chime in with help.
[/quo
Thanks for your info. There was no incubator Rather broody hens sat on and hatched the eggs. The two chicks that died had paralysis on one side. another chick had paralysis but overcame it. That is the chick, now 12 weeks old that cannot see out of one eye. Or at least has difficulty judging depth and height. The eyes look perfectly normal. No clouding, no gray. Ihe holds his head straight except when looking fir food. The he bends and twists his head around to see. I don't know if it rye neck or mareks. Then there is an almost 3 year old hen who has just developed a vision difficulty. She is the hen that sat on and incubate the now 12 week old chick. Her eyes also look perfectly normal, no gray, no clouding. She will peck around at the air and miss finding treats (unheard of, lol) even if I put the treat right in front of her. But she will eventually find it. She now eats, drinks and moves anout a bit more, but she still diesn't apppear to see well. Maybe it's not a vision issue. But something is not right. The both look perfectly normal. I will take pics in a few minutes, and will try to catch the chick on the 'wry' neck position. It's all very odd and confusing. The Dept of Ag vet I spoke with this morning said he only rately sees a hen over 1 year old develop marek symptoms. He said it's a young bird thing.

Back
Top Bottom