Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Thanks for saying sorry, and we had a feeling that she would die. The only reason that we know that it was Maraks is that my dad is a vet and he spent time researching it and all that came up was Maraks, I am glad I did what I did to get some last memories of her

Nambroth
thank you so much for the info on acv and probiotics. I found this product, available in the us: http://www.amazon.com/Gro2Max-Probi...09044&sr=1-1&keywords=probiotics+for+chickens

It has Pediococcus acidilactici , I'm ordering it now.

I found two hens with eye color changes, they are the remaining two 5 year old astrolorps.

That seems like a good price compared to the other products I was finding.
I want to express clearly that I am not sure if it is necessary to offer at all times, or only on occasion and during times of stress/illness. I am not an expert in probiotics, I just remembered researching ACV back when I started reading about it being a wonder drug (it's awesome stuff, but not really a wonder drug).

It seems worth a shot in birds that are overall sickly or have bouts of failure to thrive or wasting, though. Or just as a flock maintenance thing for those that have the ability to give it in such a way. If my feed didn't have a good probiotic blend in it I probably would.

thanks Nambroth. I want to offer the probiotics after the flock finishes with the corid treatment for cocci.

Seminolewind, how's your sick chicken doing?

And jgoldy2, I'm sorry about your chicken.

that's so hard.

One of the hens with new eye changes worries me - I'm not sure she is getting enough food. I can't decide whether I should separate her out from the flock, or let her be. On days I am home during daylight hours, I can make sure she can eat, but....on days like today when I leave before daylight and come home after work....not so much.

And I can't decide whether I should cull her to help the rest of the flock survive better without active shedding of the virus, or decide that its way too late in the game for it to make a difference. It is hard playing god.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. Have you tried vet r x? I've never used it for breathing problems, but people who have say it makes it easier for the chicken to breathe.

Oh you don't know how many chickens I have enjoyed but didn't get to see them enough before they died, and I kinda knew that it would happen and I can watch my flock.

lalalaand I think that you should separate her from the flock

If it is to keep her from shedding virus, I'ld probably cull her. I took an hour off of work this morning to be able to find the danged hen that keeps roosting in pines when I am not there at dusk, and so was able to watch her. She is definitely losing weight, and I thought was pretty disinterested in food. She picked at it, but I think wasn't really eating. When I held her, she was uninterested in feed from my hand, but I didn't have treats. I might try buttermilk (the real stuff) and egg tonight if I decide to try to keep her going.

I could separate her and see if I could encourage her to eat, but she would be away from the flock. I would definitely do that if I thought it would make it possible for her to survive, but not if it means she will just live a little longer while in my house....

She is a ba and has a sister, and the contrast between the two of them is heartbreaking. The nonsymptomatic ba is glossy, fully feathered, bright red comb....and this eye color changing hen is still molting, pale comb, much smaller, slower moving... and talking a lot. was trying to decide if she was in pain or not....

She is not showing any respiratory problems. just the eye, and losing weight, and general failure to thrive at this point.

Mareks is already there, so does it matter if there is more virus shed?

Last edited:
I'm sorry Lalaland. I ask the same question about whether I should leave them be or separate them. Unless there's snot running out their nose, I leave them. The damage is already done. I've separated way in the past and found it made no difference. With chicks or adults. But I would separate if I needed to keep an eye on someone and make sure they don't starve, or they need meds. That's IMO. And like my recent sick chicken, she likes solitude, so separating her was okay with her.

Last night my Miss Bossy got some treats and she jumped up on a low roost in the pen and I thought that she looked better. I found her dead this morning. I picked her up and she must have weighed DOUBLE her normal weight. So I imagine it was peritonitis or something I could not have saved her from.

I have Never had so many chickens die in a 6 month period. I would have to think it's not Marek's that killed them, but Marek's induced immune suppression. There are a few of them that were unrelated to it.

Back
Top Bottom