Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I am at the point I don't know what I want to do. I don't want to be a breeder...I just wanted some cool birds in my yard but it is very wearing. I thought of putting the healthy tolbunt roo in with the GLs and see what they produce. They at least should be healthier....but who knows? I have till spring to see how all are doing I guess. I still have a pair of tolbunt that seem fine but are very white and then the Russian orloff in tolbunt. That is a funny looking bird.

My older birds survived the Mareks well. I did have some losses from illnesses due to immunosuppression secondary to Marek's (I think). All new chicks should be vaccinated at day one of life and quarantined for at least 3 weeks or more. This way, eventually you will end up with a vaccinated flock. I tried letting a hen hatch her eggs twice but all 3 died at 8 months old.

I will have to check out the Russian orloff. I love my Houdans.

Last edited:
has anyone had ok results from broody hatches now that mareks is in the flock? disappointing to hear your experience, Seminolewind
What your definition of okay? I still lose a few each year, but I hatch hundreds. Most are sold as meat, but I do keep some and the majority do okay.

-Kathy

My best broody, Riley Roo, has hatched out 7 chicks in total for me this year and all are without issues, at this point in time anyway !!! Unfortunately I do believe that I have a good majority of roosters in that 7 and am now stuck with them due to this whole Marek's thing. I have 3 roos already !!! Anyway, my question is this...how does one go about treating for Mycoplasma synoviae MS in their flock? Apparently that is what Pear-Pear had. I seem to be stuck in the M's as far as diseases are concerned, don't I...lol !!! OR...
hit.gif
!!!...IDK which to do...laugh or cry.

-kim-

My best broody, Riley Roo, has hatched out 7 chicks in total for me this year and all are without issues, at this point in time anyway !!! Unfortunately I do believe that I have a good majority of roosters in that 7 and am now stuck with them due to this whole Marek's thing. I have 3 roos already !!! Anyway, my question is this...how does one go about treating for Mycoplasma synoviae MS in their flock? Apparently that is what Pear-Pear had. I seem to be stuck in the M's as far as diseases are concerned, don't I...lol !!! OR...
hit.gif

-kim-
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I know nothing about ms. I like this site.

I ended up with 7 roos that I couldn't part with since Marek's. I'm down to 5. I have sort of reached the reality of roosters. Hens alternate laying male and female eggs. Lot's of males. Reality is with Marek's, find someone who will take them and process them. In the meantime don't look at them. I know it sounds mean and I never ever thought I'd do half the things I do now. Reality can be real sad!

Suzie, we lost our last Cocker in Jan. 1989, he was a month shy of 14 1/2 yrs. old. I think about him often especially when it gets to winter. Haven't gotten a dog since. I used to raise them and seems like with every one I lost, a part of me goes with them. I'm on empty now.

Quote: Quote:
Yes, it's safe to consume a bird that has/may have Marek's Disease. My issue is that I usually wait too long to offer them to someone for processing (hoping against hope that maybe this one won't get it), that they've already descended into the downward spiral of 'wasting' and no one wants them then because nobody wants to eat a 'meatless' chicken !!! I think I'm going to have to take a closer look at that issue
hide.gif
...(OK, one down...a lifetime of issues to go...lol !!!)

And yes...Reality can be sad sometimes, but in the end, I'd rather park my car in its lot, than run the risk of being pummeled by bursting bubbles in a fantasy one...lol !!!

-kim-

hit.gif

-kim-
The pain in our heart is heavy,
We know tears fall from your face
We yearn to take them away from you,
To crush your hurt with our embrace.

We would love to give you comfort.
Build for you a promised dream.
Show you how to pocket rainbows.
Capture ripples from a stream..

mightymax...you and Pear-Pear are in our thoughts....

BTW I have lived in France for almost 7 years now...are you coming to visit ? You and everyone here on BYC would be most welcome....! Always!

Back
Top Bottom