Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

@Suzie ...
...that is a lovely poem! Did you write it? Because if you did I'll have to send you a royalty check because I took a copy of it for myself to read again later...lol !!!
And unfortunately, No, I'm not planning a trip to France in the near future, but I've been there before and would love to return someday if I'm able! I'd have to find someone
I thought could handle all of my pets first though. Although I imagine that with the number of animals I currently have, it might be cheaper for me to just pack them all up and
take them with me verses pay someone here to look after them!

@lalaland...
...Yes. MS does sound like another dreadful disease. The pictures I conjure up in my mind of it are definitely not pleasant! Do you ever get the feeling that maybe
someone's trying to tell you that this just isn't your cup of tea...lol !!! Well, I'm starting to wonder if it's mine! The only problem I have with not having chickens anymore is that
I've already fallen in love with the little stinkers and don't know if I could give them up!

My best broody, Riley Roo, has hatched out 7 chicks in total for me this year and all are without issues, at this point in time anyway !!! Unfortunately I do believe that I have a good majority of roosters in that 7 and am now stuck with them due to this whole Marek's thing. I have 3 roos already !!! Anyway, my question is this...how does one go about treating for Mycoplasma synoviae MS in their flock? Apparently that is what Pear-Pear had. I seem to be stuck in the M's as far as diseases are concerned, don't I...lol !!! OR...
hit.gif
!!!...IDK which to do...laugh or cry.

-kim-
wow never heard of what Pear-Pear had, I will ask the vet about it

Sounds good. I'd like to hear what a layman's vet has to say about it. You know, a vet. not associated with a major testing and science university...
Thanks and let me know what you hear!

-kim-

OK, so I am very new to the Marek's thing. I'm hoping to get help here. I've had chicken's almost 2 years and never had and major problems, until now. In the last two weeks, I've lost 2 and have a third sick. The first, a black australorp, purchased as a chick from TSC in April, wasted away and died. I had her put up for the last several days trying to get her to gain weight. We did not take her to the lab because I did not think it was a problem. Two days later, I go to my bantam coop and find a D'uccle cockerel, one legged, hopping around and a frizzle pullet with a neck issue. The roo is still in quarantine and still not using the "hurt" leg. The pullet was culled and is at the state lab. It has been 6 or 7 days now. Here is a video of the culled hen...

Is it Makrek's ? I know test results will show that. but I cant wait, ;)

Is it normal for the roo to not have any changes in 7 days? Ugh, I searched EVERYWHERE for a porcelain D'uccle roo... FOR months to get one locally...

My hen that wasted away, had beak clicking, I read something several pages back, but never could see what it was a sign of??
I had another hen, a few months ago, bought the same day as the BA that died, who went off food and I nursed back with a homemade concoction of mash and yogurt. Was it connected?

Can I hatch chicks now? We were about to fill the incubator? My kids had their hearts set on Christmas Chicks! Do I have to start vaccinating now when I do hatch?

I'm so confused? Thanks for any help
he.gif

It's hard to say if it's mareks, sounds like it could be but not sure. If I were you, I'd wait on the chicks until you find out from the lab. That's just me though. If you did, I'd vaccinate right away, some people vaccinate twice. Keep them away from any other chickens you have for as long as possible. It almost seems odd to me that wham, 3 of your chickens are ill that fast. Mine went one at a time, a month or so in between I'd say. More people will reply, I'm not sure what to think. Have you looked into wry neck (concerning the frizzle). Vitamin E deficiency causes that. It's treatable in many cases. Good luck, I hope it's not mareks

It's hard to say if it's mareks, sounds like it could be but not sure. If I were you, I'd wait on the chicks until you find out from the lab. That's just me though. If you did, I'd vaccinate right away, some people vaccinate twice. Keep them away from any other chickens you have for as long as possible. It almost seems odd to me that wham, 3 of your chickens are ill that fast. Mine went one at a time, a month or so in between I'd say. More people will reply, I'm not sure what to think. Have you looked into wry neck (concerning the frizzle). Vitamin E deficiency causes that. It's treatable in many cases. Good luck, I hope it's not mareks
How did your birds progress, was it slowly like my little roo?

OK, so I am very new to the Marek's thing. I'm hoping to get help here. I've had chicken's almost 2 years and never had and major problems, until now. In the last two weeks, I've lost 2 and have a third sick. The first, a black australorp, purchased as a chick from TSC in April, wasted away and died. I had her put up for the last several days trying to get her to gain weight. We did not take her to the lab because I did not think it was a problem. Two days later, I go to my bantam coop and find a D'uccle cockerel, one legged, hopping around and a frizzle pullet with a neck issue. The roo is still in quarantine and still not using the "hurt" leg. The pullet was culled and is at the state lab. It has been 6 or 7 days now. Here is a video of the culled hen...

Is it Makrek's ? I know test results will show that. but I cant wait, ;)

Is it normal for the roo to not have any changes in 7 days? Ugh, I searched EVERYWHERE for a porcelain D'uccle roo... FOR months to get one locally...

My hen that wasted away, had beak clicking, I read something several pages back, but never could see what it was a sign of??
I had another hen, a few months ago, bought the same day as the BA that died, who went off food and I nursed back with a homemade concoction of mash and yogurt. Was it connected?

Can I hatch chicks now? We were about to fill the incubator? My kids had their hearts set on Christmas Chicks! Do I have to start vaccinating now when I do hatch?

I'm so confused? Thanks for any help
he.gif

Sorry you are having this problem. I'm glad you sent a hen off to a lab. It's better than all the guessing.
At the bottom of my posts, please read "The big Marek's FAQ". That's got tons of information in it, and was written by Nambroth.
I think the mash and yogurt were fine.
Wasting, unfortunately is a symptom of many illnesses. And lameness/paralysis can be a symptom of other illnesses too. I think the first thing to do is see about your flock history. Like who got added a month or two before you had a sick chicken?
How many chickens, how old, have they been wormed regularly and dusted for bugs?
Are they on medicated feed?

If you hatch your own eggs, hatch in a room that has been seldom used. You would need to buy the vaccine, and give each chick an injection of vaccine. Then quarantine them for at least 3 weeks and the longer the better. I spent 3 weeks gowning and gloving to take care of the chicks because my flock has Marek's and it's probably all over my house as well.

You can try a multi vitamin for now. Like multi B vitamins.

Last edited:
my birds who had paralysis took a while. It's very sad and heartbreaking to watch. They would show signs of paralysis, then I'd bring them in the house and they never got better. I'd have them in for a couple weeks usually before I'd have them put to sleep. They would eat and act happy but they never made it.

Back
Top Bottom