Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Frizzlefraz, I have not seen open wounds associated with Marek's. I would start treating for a vitamin deficiency. There is a recent thread called, "is this mareks" that has some good info in it. I can't figure out how to post a link with my phone but you should be able to use the BYC search feature.

Frizzlefraz, I also have not encountered or read about open wounds resulting from Marek's infection. When birds suffer from acute cutaneous Marek's-- which is when it shows up in the skin/feather follicles, it tends to look like warty, lumpy growths.
I am not saying it's not Marek's... I, sadly, have no idea without seeing your bird in person and even then maybe only lab results could tell us. If she were mine, I'd look for other reasons for her problem first, and see if I could cure them.

Her wound may be a cyst that has burst, or a problem (other than Marek's) with her feather follicles. Frizzles DO have strange feather genetics... it's actually a detrimental feather condition if they were "wild" birds. Or perhaps another bird or predator caused the wound? Do you know?

If a chicken or predator gave her the wound, you might also consider her limping to be an internal injury that is delayed in showing itself. It's hard to say.

I don't know if her wound and her sudden limping/leg problem are related or not. If you can, you might consider taking her to a vet, because it's not 'ringing any bells' for too many people here if you aren't getting suggestions. If you cannot, just keep the wound clean and treated, observe her carefully for any changes or symptoms, and consider vitamin therapy.

Thank for your responses . She is much the same today but when I was giving her antibiotics tonight I noticed Three different hard lumps around her body. One on Her neck, one on her thigh and one on her chest. I did read they can get lumpy things with mareks.
If this is pointing more towards mareks I am considering taking her to the vets and getting her put down so I can get her lab tested. I've just started breeding and I don't want to sell any diseased birds! She is the only one showing symptoms out of 30 chickens I have.

If this is pointing more towards mareks I am considering taking her to the vets and getting her put down so I can get her lab tested.

I suggest that you call the state lab before you have her euthanized - we were told not to as it could make the necropsy harder. DH culled her instead. What a nightmare that day was. She was such a pretty pullet.

Looks like we are going to cull our cockerel this week. He is going down so fast. I am going to miss talking to him in the mornings when I leave for work. And will miss his cooing when I pet him. Only silver lining is that I suspect that the 10 week old turken might be a cockerel. With Marek's, rehoming is not an option.

E

gosh, I don't know. I've only dealt with the kind where you can see nothing, they just quit moving normally and eventually die. My guess is not mareks. That is not anything I've seen but I'm fairly new, just been unlucky enough in my few months of chickens to end up with mareks.

do you have a vet you could take her to? I took my first sick chicken to the vet and it was fairly cheap.

BigE - I'm sorry you had to lose your girl that way :(

I decided no necropsy on mine because after 2 I was 100% sure what it was.

I would have a vet look at those lumps first. Too bad no one is answering on other threads. Have you made a specific one for it? Bump it if you have to if no one answers.

It's been awhile since I've been on here. But since I was last here we had our sweet lavender put down and sent in for testing and it confirmed that we are dealing with mareks. We put down another splash maren last mo after she was unable to walk anymore. So we are down to 3 (had 6) from my original group of chickens one splash, one light Sussex, and one lavender. I also just got 4 Easter eggers from mcmurry those came fully vaccinated.
My question is I've noticed my Sussex's comb is really pale. It was bright red and now it's pale. She also stopped laying about 2 mos ago. She was hatched last April. Is this another side affect of mareks? Or do I have something else going on? We live in WI so it is cold could it be that?
I also noticed that it looks like she went through a molt of sorts cause she has lots of pin feathers growing in.
Could it be lice or mites? Can those still live in the winter?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Janelle

Back
Top Bottom