Not roosting

Erikalpowers

Songster
Mar 11, 2020
Greenfield NY
My flock is about 8-9 weeks old now and they've been in their coop for about 2 weeks. They all sleep on the floor in a corner. I have gone in after they put themselves "to bed" and pick each one up and put them on the roosts, they hop right down. They use them at different times of the day but not at night. Is this normal? Do I just leave them be and they'll figure it out or should I help somehow?

Attachments

• 20200430_140526.jpg
    20200430_140526.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 9
When mine were young they did the same thing. Eventually they figured it out, and they roost every night. I have heard that sometimes you need to train them to the roost and put them up there at night like you are doing. Try going in a little later when they are already sleeping so they won’t jump off.

When mine were young they did the same thing. Eventually they figured it out, and they roost every night. I have heard that sometimes you need to train them to the roost and put them up there at night like you are doing. Try going in a little later when they are already sleeping so they won’t jump off.
Great thank you. I need to be a little more diligent. I've only put them up there 3 times and not in a row.

It may take them a while to get used to it. Roosting during the day is more for play, so they're not connecting that to roosting at night for bed.

Wait until it's pretty dark, then try moving them to the roost. Some may jump off but just put them back on. Keep repeating it each night and eventually one will get the hang of it, and the others will follow.

It may take them a while to get used to it. Roosting during the day is more for play, so they're not connecting that to roosting at night for bed.

Wait until it's pretty dark, then try moving them to the roost. Some may jump off but just put them back on. Keep repeating it each night and eventually one will get the hang of it, and the others will follow.
Great! I need to be a little more diligent. Thank you

Wait until they figure it out....
...or wait until it's really dark.
Use a dim headlight so you can see, but aim it up and the ceiling so you don't light a 'path of escape' for them.

Back
Top Bottom