Not so silky silkies???? Silkie chicks growing normal feathers

Hrairoo

Chirping
May 1, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I have 12 silkie chicks along with 31 RIR and 3 khaki campbell X ducklings. The chicks are all 2 weeks old, and have lots and lots of feathers. Chicks are from a hatchery, so they should not be crossed!

Two of my silkies are growing 'normal' feathers, much like the RIRs... However the feathers are much softer and really thin, actually somewhat transparent! What's the deal with that, eh?? You can also see that the wingtips are somewhat frayed....

Probably wouldn't leave them to their own in the pen with the big ones. Do you have a cage you can put them in inside of your run?

Let them see each other, and get used to seeing each other before they all go in together. From my personal experience, let that go on for 2 weeks or more then let them free-range together (if yours do that). Some pecking and chasing is normal after they're all together, as long as it isn't brutal. Pecking order and such.

They'll just keep attacking the new ones if there's no warm-up.

I'm not seasoned either but I should be a master-integrator by now.
But maybe one day. But until then, +1 grain of salt.

What color are the chicks legs/skin and how many toes do they have? This will factor into whether they were completely misidentified or are mixes.

5 toes, grey/black skin. Crosses can still have these features. I bought these guys from a hatchery and I am emailing them right now. I was told I would be getting 3 different colours of silkies, but they are all white....

I'm new to raising chickens. I have 6 white silky chicks about 3-4 weeks old and they all have had fur/feathers on their legs and feet since day 1. I noticed yours doesn't. Could that be a sign they are mixed or not silkies?

Yes, about half have no feathers on their feet, and half since day one.... They are also the same size as my RIR chicks, shouldn't they be smaller, as they are a smaller breed???

This is my 6 week old silkie. She(he) is all fluff! Looks like maybe a mix you have there... Any word from hatchery?

Yea, thinking a cross.... I'm guessing maybe a third of them have single combs too. I just emailed. Hopefully I will get an email back, I'm scared they will ignore my email!! I have a couple silkie chicks that do look to be the right size, smaller than the RIRs, was concerned about them before due to their size, but this would all make sense if they're crosses.

Back
Top Bottom