Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here!

I have a 3.5 week old Wellsummer chick that was supposed to be a pullet but I suspect is a roo. :( When I picked "her" out I was sure to pick a chick with a well-defined "V" on its head and eyeliner (common traits in female Wellsummer chicks) but it seems she might actually be a he. At 3.5 weeks I'm noticing a large comb that's starting to turn pink. It's much larger than any of my other chicks including the 5 week old ones. "She" also stands pretty tall and is a bit more aggressive. Sometimes I see her sort of run at the other (older) chicks like she's trying to challenge them or something.

Anyone with Wellsummer experience had a chick with early comb growth that turned out to be a pullet? Unfortunately I can't have roosters and will be so sad if I have to rehome Sandy. Any input is appreciated!!!

Here "she" is the day we got her, probably ~2 days old:

At 3.5 weeks. I've caught her doing the tall "rooster" stance quite a few times....

Again at 3.5 weeks:

And one more:

I know it's hard to tell for sure at only 3.5 weeks, but I'm hoping some more experienced chicken people could let me know their thoughts. Thanks in advance for any info! :)

Please forgive the ignorance. Why is breed so important in the back yard chicken community? Egg color and egg production right.
But is it a problem to have a variety of breeds together. I have a few different breeds buff orpingtons, Cali Whites and Easter eggers.
They seem to get a long OK.. Is it wrong to have them together? be gentle I am a newbie

here is a chicken selfie :) By the way Junebuggena- that is a really cute little guy you have there
jumpy.gif

I have also always mixed my breeds. I do keep roosters and hens of the same breeds for breeding purposes. If I am not breeding, I do not keep roosters. They are only needed for breeding, though some do enjoy them just to have. The only thing I would caution you about with keeping mixed breed flocks, is that some breeds, or individual chickens, can be more aggressive than other breeds or chickens, and may be too aggressive for your more docile birds. I have chosen to remove the aggressive birds because I have small children, while my brother in law, takes the meanies and gives me his docile birds (as they are off grid and need very vigilant, predator smart birds, I do not). I have never raised standards and banties together, as I am afraid of the standards picking on the banties. I know others do successfully, I just have not been that brave. :) Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!

Back
Top Bottom